Dear Parents and Families of West Oakland Middle School students:
On behalf of the staff and faculty, I would like to welcome you to the 2017-2018 school year. I want to celebrate a few of last year’s achievements with you here:
- We met our school’s goals for improvement in our students’ English and Math test scores. We had the biggest increase in reading scores (11% growth in proficiency) in the school’s history!
- Our engineering and music programs continued to get stronger, and we introduced ELD and the African American Male Achievement (AAMA) Program to our campuses.
As your principal, I am excited and ready to begin the year and build on our successes. Please read the following information to be prepared for the school year:
- Summer Reading: In order to prevent students from losing their reading skills over the summer (“Summer Slide”), we are assigning summer reading. It is expected that ALL students will be reading over the summer. Students can choose between the two options:
- NewsELA articles: 5 articles/week during the summer. NewsELA can be found online for our RETURNING STUDENTS!
- Keep track of how many articles read on the Binder page of NewsELA.
- Teachers will check student progress at the end of the summer.
- Please completely read 1-2 novels over the summer.
- Summer Coding Camp: Our own Engineering teacher, Kennan Scott, has begun a summer coding camp for incoming 6th graders, called Coded Academy. Students will get instruction in math, science, art, and computer science. The camp will take place on our campus, from 8:30-3:30. The dates are July 24th-August 11th. Please register your child at codedacademy.school. For more information, contact: email@example.com, or call (510) 698-9517.
- Attendance at orientation and registration is mandatory. Everyone who attends the registration and orientation is entered into a raffle. Those who attend the Early Bird registration and orientation sessions are entered TWICE into the raffle.
- Our registration dates are as follows:
- Early Bird Registration: Friday, August 11th, 2-5 PM
- Registration BBQ: Saturday, August 12th, 11-3 PM.
- 6th grade/New Student Orientation: Friday, August 11th, 4 PM
- Parent Orientation dates are:
- Friday, August 11th: 1:30 PM
- Saturday, August 12th: 11:30 AM
- Uniform Policy: Students wear uniforms to promote school spirit and safety
on campus. Uniforms are MANDATORY. You can:
- Order Online: Go to the BYOG website, go to ONLINE STORES and click on West Oakland Middle School to find our school attire: http://byoglogo.com. The link will be open until August 14th.
- Order on Paper: We have enclosed a paper order form. Bring the order form & cash/money orders to school on Tuesday, August 1st, between 9-4.
Please see the specific do’s and don’t’s of the uniform below:
- Tops: Plain t-shirts or collared shirts in orange (6th), gray (7th), or black (8th).
- Bottoms: Khaki or Black pants, shorts, or skirts.
- We do not allow:
- open-toed shoes;
- ripped or torn clothing;
- jeans, joggers, leggings, or sweats.
- 5. The first day of school is Monday, August 21st.
- Teachers will begin instruction immediately, which means it is very important for all students to be present from the very first day of school.
- 6. If your student still has a LOCK for his/her locker, that MUST be returned at registration/orientation. We need the locks for distribution to this year’s students.
If you have questions or concerns or need assistance with preparing your child for this school year, please feel free to contact me at 510.874.6788. I truly feel privileged to be a part of this community and look forward to meeting you and your child very soon.
With Sincerity, Peace, and Love,