Greetings Westlake Families,
This is the weekly parent update. A reminder there is no school on Monday in observance of the President’s Day holiday.
A few announcements and reminders for the week:
- As you know, tragedy hit our nation’s school system in Florida this week. We had counselors available here at Westlake to help support our scholars process this tragedy. We also practice our safety drills on a regular basis to ensure we are well prepared to handle any issues. Please remind your scholars on the importance of taking safety drills seriously.
- We need all parents to take the California Healthy Kids survey on our website. This survey is used to identify how to better provide resources to our Westlake community. To take the survey please- CLICK HERE or visit our website.
- Also on our website is a Westlake budget survey to better understand the priorities our Westlake community needs in terms of personnel. The survey is confidential and is only used to inform our decision making process.
- Westlake would like to invite all parents to an English Learner parent meeting now moved to Wednesday, February 21st at 5:00 in the main office. We will be reviewing English Learner data and identify ways to better support our English Learners. We will also be establishing an English Learner committee and voting on whether to allow our School Site Council to make decisions on English Learner services.
- Westlake has received an outdoor education grant for some of our scholars to attend an overnight camping trip. If your scholar is interested in this opportunity please contact Ms. Rubin-Davis.
- Westlake is currently considering a free 4 week Summer School program for our current 6th & 7th grade scholars. If this is of interest to you, please contact Ms. Nguyen.
- On Friday. February 23rd, Westlake Middle School in partnership with Kaiser Permanente, is having our “Nightmare on Puberty Street” assembly for our 6th graders. If you do not want your 6th grade scholar to be part of this experience and did not return a negative permission slip, please contact the main office.
- Next Saturday, the 24th is our Westlake Musical Gala. Please join us for an evening of music from our scholars, a delicious dinner, and enjoy the presence of musical dignitaries. For more information on tickets, please contact Mr. Porter.
- Next school year, the first day of school is earlier than normal, we start school on August 13th.
Some upcoming dates:
- Friday, March 2nd: Short Day Schedule (end of marking period)
- Thursday, March 15th: Family Literacy Night
- March 30th - April 6th Spring Break
That’s all for now. “Stay Fly & SOAR!” and please remember to Take Care of Yourself, Take Care of One Another, and Take Care of Westlake!