Skip To Main Content
Oakland Unified School District


Do I need a credential?

OUSD requires credentials for employment in all certificated positions. It is necessary for educators to hold appropriate credentials for their assignments because, in doing so, we ensure that students receive the quality education they deserve and the district fulfills our responsibility under Education Code §44258.9 to have evidence of the legal basis for the assignment of each educator.

What kind of credential do I need? 

There are many different types of credentials which authorize different assignments, but these are the most common. Click on the links below to access more information whether or not you currently hold a credential. 

Teaching credential: Multiple Subject, Single Subject, etc.

Services credential: Administrative, Speech-Language Pathology, School Nurse, etc.

Substitute credential: Substitute teaching

Vocational Credentials: Career Technical Education, Designated Special Subjects

How to use this page

Follow the links on this page or go directly to the OUSD Credentials Overview deck. 

Please review these materials before contacting for assistance. 

Who is the CTC?

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) is the state agency that issues educator credentials. OUSD does not grant credentials, but if you are selected for a position and qualify for a credential, we can submit your application to the CTC on your behalf.

Visit the CTC Website