Skip To Main Content
Oakland Unified School District

Leaves Support

Employee Leave Support

At some point, almost all workers will be faced with the need to be off work for an extended period.  Common reasons  are health care needs of self or a family member, birth or adoption of a child, military service, bereavement, or jury duty.  OUSD's team of Leave Coordinators can help you navigate the process of determining your eligibility and scheduling a leave of absence. 

What is "Leave"?

"Leave" is an arrangement between you and OUSD for an extended (longer than 30 days) absence or reduction of work hours.  It is different from Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, which are all forms of compensated time off for occasional short-term absences from work. 

Who is eligible for Leave?

Eligibility for longer term leave is limited to only certain circumstances which are defined in the language of the two laws under which OUSD employees have leave rights: 

The FEDERAL Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) 

Under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), if you have more than 12 months of service with OUSD and have worked at least 1,250 hours in the 12 month period before the date you want to begin your unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons such as;

  • Employee’s own illness
  • Illness of a spouse, parent or child
  • Pregnancy Disability Leave and recovery from birth
  • Military Leave

The California Family Rights Act (CFRA)

Under the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) if you have more than 12 months of service with OUSD before the date you want to begin your leave, you may have a right to take unpaid, job-protected leave (CFRA leave). This leave may be up to 12 workweeks in a 12-month period for the birth, adoption, or foster care placement of your child. CFRA also protects your right to care for a sibling, grandparent, grandchild and parent in laws with serious health conditions.  

What do I do if I think I need to request Leave? 

OUSD's Leave Coordinators are here to help in these situations.   

If you think you might need to request a leave of absence, please email us.

We will schedule a consultation with you to examine your eligibility and help you apply for and schedule the appropriate leave for your situation.