The History Of Dewey
Dewey began as an Oakland elementary school at 38th avenue and East 12th Street in 1899. It was named after Admiral George Dewey who was a hero in the Spanish-American War that was being fought at that time. In 1963 Dewey ended its history as an elementary school and became the first continuation high school in Oakland. This change offered students with problems at their regular high schools a second chance to earn credits and graduate on time. In the fall of 2001 Dewey moved from the East 12th Street site to its present site on Second Avenue near Lake Merritt. We continue to serve 17 to 18 year olds who need an alternative way of reaching their goals.