2021-2022 MONTERA AFTERSCHOOL & SPORTS PROGRAM INFO
We are pleased to announce that the Montera Afterschool Program Registration Form is ready to go!
Contact Kenya Latimore for all questions at email@example.com or 510-560-3430.
Afterschool Program Registration Form: https://forms.gle/rjiN4SdgF5Ka117s9
- Fill out a separate application form for each student you are enrolling.
- The Montera Afterschool Program will offer a sliding scale monthly fee based on your gross household income.
- There will be a separate form to fill out for classes and sports (free and fee-based). Mr. Latimore is in the process of confirming the days and times. This form will be available towards the end of July.
- If you are enrolled in the afterschool program, you will have access to the free classes (hiking club, study hall, lacrosse, cooking, podcasting, coding, and healthy kids lifestyle).
- If you are enrolled in the afterschool program, then the fee for a sports team will be waived.
- Contact Kenya.Latimore@ousd.org with any questions.
The Montera Afterschool Program runs until 6 PM every day. We offer a range of activities, including academic support, enrichment classes, board games, quiet time, free play, and sports team practice. With a ratio of 20:1, our experienced and caring teachers provide a safe, fun, and supportive environment for students to build community with their peers.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday
3:30-3:45 PM Student sign in and get a snack (Room 400)
3:45-4:45 PM Students go to study hall, class, or sport.
4:45-6:00 PM Outside or inside activities, such as basketball, reading, board games, etc...
6:00 PM Afterschool ends.
Wednesday - Minimum Day
2:30-2:45 PM Students sign in and get a snack (Room 400)
2:45-3:45 PM Students go to study hall, class, or sport.
3:45-6:00 PM Outside or inside activities, such as basketball, reading, board games, etc...
6:00 PM Afterschool ends.
Enrichment Classes (Free and Fee-based)
This year the afterschool program will offer several classes that are free and fee-based.
- Study Hall (Mr. Latimore, Ms. Shaw, Ms. Littlebird, Ms. Whitney, and/or Mr. Smith) During study hall, students work independently or receive academic help from a teacher or adult on their class assignments/homework. This class is offered every day.
- ANOVA Coding (UC Berkeley) Berkeley ANOVA is a student organization that seeks to empower students by providing computer science education and mentorship. This computer science class will teach students the basics of coding programs like apps or video games. All levels are welcome! This class is offered once a week.
- Girls On The Mic (Women’s Audio Mission) Girls on the Mic is a program of Women's Audio Mission- a non-profit that uses music and media to connect middle and high school girls every year to STEAM studies. Typically, when we are in-person, we travel with our mobile recording rigs to our partner schools and bring students to our studio. We offer a standard curriculum that includes music production, coding, synthesizers, songwriting, podcast production, and more. These videos offer a good overview of what we do. For this fall semester of 2021, classes will be offered online once a week.
- Lacrosse (Oakland Lacrosse) Come play lacrosse this fall, the oldest North American sport ever created! Oakland Lacrosse Club will be at your school during the after-school enrichment time to bring you the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of the game while having lots of fun. Our weekly sessions are open to all skill levels, all grades, and all genders. Our Coaches are ready to work with multi-sport athletes and those trying sports for the first time! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions involving lacrosse in Oakland!
- Cooking (Ms. Shaw) Students will learn and prepare healthy recipes every Friday.
- Hiking Club (Mr. Cooper and Mr. Latimore) This club is about fun and fitness. Once a week, Mr. Cooper and Mr. Latimore will take students hiking on nearby trails to enjoy the great outdoors and explore the park.
The ASP also offers fee-based classes. Art, Jazz Band, Ceramics, and Woodshop are in the process of being confirmed. You do not need to be enrolled in the afterschool program to attend these classes. However, if your student is not enrolled in afterschool and the class has ended, then a parent/caregiver will need to pick up their student.
After School Sports Teams
Emails will go out to families for your students to sign up for our competitive sports teams. Teams are coached by teachers and volunteer parents. Fees typically range from $10-$100 per sport, and sports meet twice a week for practice. Games are usually on Saturdays.
If you are enrolled in the afterschool program, you will not be charged a fee for the sport.
Montera Middle School is part of SPAAT (Student Program for Athletic and Academic Transitioning). All participants in the Montera Sports Program are automatically enrolled in SPAAT.
SPAAT’s development programs use a curriculum that connects with a student’s familiarity and passion for sports. They deliver programs in middle and high schools through advising services, tutoring sessions, college planning, recruiting advisory, self-development seminars, and motivational speakers.
Class Schedule - Coming soon!
Afterschool and Athletic Director - Kenya Latimore email@example.com
- Dunia Wilder
- Coach Daral Smith
- Ms. Whitney Ligons
- Ms. Shandle Shaw
- Ms. Carmel Liao
- Ms. Theresa Littlebird