About OEA-OUSD Contract Negotations
OUSD is committed to a continuted partnership with the the Oakland Education Association (OEA) that both honors our hard working employees and ensures quality service to our kids and families.
The OEA strike began on Thursday, February 21, 2019.
The last day of the OEA strike was Friday, March 1, 2019.
On Sunday, March 3, 2019, OEA members voted to ratify the tentative agreement. Download the OUSD/OEA tentative agreement here
Teachers returned to schools on Monday, March 4, 2019.
March 6, 2019
- Update on Student Attendance during the OEA strike (sent as a robocall to families)
March 3, 2019
- OEA members voted to ratify the tentative agreement ending the strike. Download the OUSD/OEA tentative agreement here
Teachers will return to schools on Monday, March 4, 2019.
March 1, 2019
- Seventh day of the OEA strike
February 28, 2019
- OUSD information update: Board Meeting Rescheduled for Friday, March 1
- Sixth day of OEA strike
February 27, 2019
- OUSD information update: Tonight's Board Meeting Postponed
- Fifth day of OEA strike
February 26, 2019
- OUSD information update: Strike Update 5: Negotiations with OEA
- Fourth day of OEA strike
February 25, 2019
- OUSD information update: Over the Weekend - Strike Update 4: Negotiations with OEA
- Third day of OEA strike
February 24, 2019
- OUSD information update: Strike Update 3: Negotiations with OEA
February 23, 2019
- OUSD information update: Important clarification about attendance
February 22, 2019
- OUSD information update: Strike Update 2: Negotioations with OEA
- Second day of OEA strike
February 21, 2019
- OUSD information update: Strike Update 1: Negotiations with OEA
- Opinion in East Bay Times cross-posted to Mercury News by Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell: How Oakland schools can solve financial crisis
- First day of OEA strike
February 20, 2019
- OUSD information update: Labor Update: Negotiations with OEA
- OUSD press release: Dozens of OUSD Principals Taking Sacramento Field Trip Today to Lobby for Education
- Opinion in EdSource by Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell: District must choose 'imperfect solutions over strife'
February 19, 2019
February 16, 2019
- OUSD press release: Negotiations Update and Public Release of the Fact-finding Report
- OEA sets strike for Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019
February 15, 2019
February 14, 2019
- In anticipation of a strike, we encourage families to read our Potential Strike One-Pager which includes Ten Need to Know Facts About a Potential Strike and Getting Ready for a Potential Strike.
February 13, 2019
- Find answers to frequently asked questions about the potential strike, updated today: FAQs
February 10, 2019
- OUSD is still trying to find a way to settle this labor dispute and avoid a strike in our community. The District hopes the Oakland Education Association is doing the same. The Fact-finding panel members are communicating with one another, and we cannot disclose the confidential nature of those communications at this time.
February 6, 2019
- Today the Superintendent indicated the District and OEA would be meeting to continue negotiations. She declined to comment further on those talks. As you know, the District and OEA are still in the Fact-Finding process administered by the Public Employee Relations Board. The District and OEA have each appointed a panel member to serve on the Fact-Finding Panel along with the State Appointed Chair of the Panel. The Panel's discussions are confidential. However, today the Panel reconvened, as part of the Fact-finding process, to continue their discussions to try and facilitate a resolution of the labor dispute between the District and OEA. The District seeks to resolve this dispute without the disruption of a strike and has demonstrated its willingness to do so in the Fact-Finding process. If the Panel's efforts are ultimately unsuccessful, a Fact-Finding Report will likely be issued on or about February 15, 2019.
February 3, 2019
- Opinion in the San Francisco Chronicle by Board President Aimee Eng and Board Vice President Jody London: Oakland public schools have great needs but inadequate funds
January 30, 2019
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Budget and Negotiations* | En español (el 30 de enero) *This document is available to download / print, but please note that it's also a living document that will be updated as information becomes available.
January 30, 2019
January 17, 2019