Top 5 Reasons to Choose an OUSD Middle School
Oakland Unified’s twelve 6-8 middle schools are outstanding hubs for youth development with leaders, teachers and staff who strive to know every child well and support their academic success and personal development. We engage students with joy and encourage their growth both in the classroom and through extracurricular activities.
1. Safety in a Diverse and Inclusive Setting: OUSD middle schools mirror the diversity of our district where more than 50 native languages are spoken and half of our students speak a language other than English at home. In addition to being a Sanctuary District, our staff are trained in conflict resolution, mentorship and Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support in order to shift school culture from punitive to culturally responsive and positively reinforcing. Several of our middle schools offer programming specific for Newcomer students who have recently arrived in the United States.
2. Restorative Justice Program in Every Middle School: We use this set of practices to build community and teach students to respond to harm by using their social emotional skills. By building, maintaining and restoring relationships between members of the entire school community, we help to create an environment where all students thrive.
3. Computer Science Classes in Every School: Our Computer Science and Technology curriculum is strengthened by partnerships with local tech companies which lead into career pathways at the high school level. Students get hands-on experience with tools for 21st century careers, from Chromebooks to laser cutters to 3D printers. Our middle schools provide a computer science foundation for each student to build on as they move through high school and beyond.
4. Innovative Teaching Practices and Personalized Learning Meet Individual Needs: Recognizing that every student has a unique learning style, we partner with educators and organizations to implement blended and personalized learning initiatives. Math coaches challenge and support students, for example, while the Blueprint Math intervention provides a 4 to 1 student to teacher ratio for kids performing below grade level.
5. Terrific Clubs, Sports, Afterschool Programs and Outdoor Experiences at Every School: Extracurricular activities include everything from hip-hop dance to chess, club-level soccer to capoeira, homework support, tutoring, and travel as far as Washington, DC! Additionally the Oakland Goes Outdoors ("O-Go") program will provide every middle school student with at least one overnight expericence in the outdoors during which students gain leadership skills and social emotional competencies while following a custom academic curriculum.