COVID & Safety in Schools Video
Staff Session: On March 30, 2021, OUSD hosted a staff webinar featuring national experts on COVID safety and vaccines sharing the most up-to-date information.
The presentation is below in the following segments:
- Lessons Learned in School Reopening (~24 mins, including 5 min Q&A)
- Vaccines and Variants: (~26 mins, including 7 min Q&A)
- LIFE in our schools and the Swiss Cheese Model: (~12 mins)
- Supporting the Mental Health of Staff and Students: (~10 Mins)
Lesson learned from other schools (Dr. Naomi Bardach) (~24 mins, 5 min. Q&A)
Is there more transmission in schools? Are the little ones super spreaders? How are high schoolers different than other people? Dr. Naomi Bardach is helping with California's overall response Safe Schools for All team and is up on the latest knowledge. She take time to address some of the big headlines out there today.
- Dr. Bardach is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Policy in the Department of Pediatrics and the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California San Francisco. Since December, she has been serving almost full time at CA Health and Human Services Agency as the state lead for the multi-agency Safe Schools for All team.
Worried about the "fourth wave?" Curious about vaccines? Will they work on the variants? What about asymptomatic transmission? Can you get COVID from a toilet plume? Dr. Monica Gandhi has got you! Get ready for high-level takeaways coupled with the science to back it up.
- Monica Gandhi MD, MPH is an Infectious Diseases doctor, Professor of Medicine and Associate Chief in the Division of HIV, Infectious Diseases, and Global Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
COVID Safety in Schools (Dr. Emily Frank) (~12 mins)
LIFE in our schools and the Swiss Cheese Model: (~12 mins)
Listen to OUSD's own Dr. Emily Frank - a pediatrician AND LIFE academy teacher - talk about the importance of many layers of protection. She rolls through the safety measures in place and how they work together to provide protection.
- Emily Frank, MD FAAP is a Pediatrician and Clinical Instructor at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals in San Francisco and Oakland in the Department of Emergency Medicine. She is also an adjunct professor in the Departments of Biology, Medical Assisting, and Health Occupations at Merritt College.
Mental Health (Saun-Toy Trotter) (~10 mins)
With direct experience serving our students at both Castlemont and McClymonds, Saun-Toy Trotter gives an overview of how OUSD staff can look for signs of stress and and concrete ways to support everybody after a tough year.
- Saun-Toy Latifa Trotter is a healer. She is the Program Director of School Based Behavioral Health programs and co-chair of the Trauma Informed Care Committee at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. She brings over twenty years of experience providing behavioral health services to adolescents and families.