WE SHOW UP. WE CHALLENGE. WE SUPPORT. WE PROTECT.
Community Health Equity Academy
Visit the CHEA Community Website
As CHEA, our job is to understand, dismantle, and transform the social determinants that contribute to health inequities in our community:
CHEA students and educators understand that a quality education is one of the most important tools our students have to take back East Oakland from the grips of gentrification and build a community where everyone can reach their full health potential.
The Castlemont Health Equity Academy (CHEA) activates students as agents of change by:
- Developing knowledge of self, including strengths, interests, and leadership;
- Deepening our understanding of the Social Determinants of Health and health outcomes;
- Supporting opportunities to practice skills and apply knowledge through work-based learning and action research.
Work Based Learning
- Employment: Public Health is a leading Bay Area employment sector.
- Skills: Research, health care, communications, cultural relations, social design
- Degrees/Careers: Health worker, counselor, nutritionist, therapist, Early childhood, policy writer, business owner among others
Course Sequence9th – Introduction to Public Health10th – Public Health Solutions11th - Public Health Advocacy
12th – Senior Seminar
Dual Enrollment Berkeley City College: Early Childhood Development Class and Apprenticeship
CHEA Student Outcomes
- Critical Thinking
- Health Advocacy
- Action Research
For more information about CHEA:
CHEA Pathway Lead Teacher