Personal protective equipment (PPE) is critical to ensuring safety for all in-person activities. We have built our inventory and designed systems to make it easy for schools to get the PPE they need for staff and students.
A useful summary of current guidance regarding PPE from the California Department of Education and our state and county public health experts is available here.
1. NEW UPDATE: Effective Monday, August 16, masks are required both indoors and outdoors on all OUSD campuses, for all staff and students, regardless of vaccination status, unless there is an exemption. Mask breaks outdoors will be permitted if done 6 feet apart from others.
2. Staff can use face shields, which enable younger students to see their teachers’ faces and to avoid potential barriers to phonological instruction. Face shields will be provided to teachers who desire this option. Face shields should be worn over a mask or with a drape to prevent airborne particles entering inside or escaping from the face shield.
3. Soap and hand sanitizer reduce disease transmission, and will be available and handy in all classrooms, bathrooms, main offices, entrance to school, cafeteria, etc. Everyone must sanitize upon entering and exiting school and cafeteria and bathrooms.
4. PPE signage provided by OUSD is posted at every school and office entrance, and can serve as a helpful reminder to everyone. Additional signage is being placed throughout school buildings in classrooms, restrooms, on floors and walls inside and outside, in preparation for students’ return.
5. Specialized PPE is appropriate for staff who will perform aerosolizing procedures and come into close contact with individuals who are symptomatic, some staff who work with students with moderate to severe disabilities, and for custodial staff who use aerosolizing sprays during cleaning procedures.