OUSD central office and every school site will have to implement new safety procedures to keep staff and students safe, as we are critical participants in the larger public health response to COVID-19 in Alameda County. School or district leadership will communicate with students, staff, and parents about cases and exposures at the school, consistent with privacy requirements such as FERPA and HIPAA.
1. All staff, students, and visitors to the school site must be wearing face coverings over both their nose and mouth at all times when on campus, in grades K-12. Masks are highly recommended for students in grades K-2. Valved masks should not be used.
2. Staff working in a room by themselves may remove their face coverings.
3. Staff may wear face shields over their masks, face shields with drapes, or masks with clear fronts, so students can see their mouths.
4. Students who cannot wear a mask due to documented medical or behavior contraindications or those students with developmental delays will not be excluded from class if they cannot consistently wear a face covering. Staff will encourage and remind them to wear their face covering, and keep students 6 feet apart from other students, if they cannot wear a face covering.
5. Everyone should prioritize consistent use of face coverings when in hallways, bathrooms and other spaces where students may encounter staff and students from other classrooms.
6. Cloth masks will be provided for all students and staff by the district. Face shields will be provided for all staff who request one. All schools will be provided with a supply of disposable masks for individuals who forget to bring one.