Free Meals for Oakland Kids
Nutrition Services is operating 22 pick-up locations throughout the city where “Grab and Go” meals are available for any Oakland child.
After a few weeks when OUSD was unable to provide meals to non OUSD students due to a federal rule change, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reversed course and announced that schools can return to their "grab and go" policies from the summer.Starting September 3, all children in Oakland - 18 years old and younger, and students in our Young Adult Program - can receive meals.Our staff will be taking attendance, but families no longer have to prove their students attend District-run schools. They can be students in charter schools, private schools, or homeschooled.
- Pick-up days are Mondays and Thursdays, between 8am and 1pm at 22 pick-up locations.
- Social Distancing measures are in effect.
- Face coverings are required.
- Kids do not need to be present to pick up food.
- Multiple days worth of food can be picked up at once. (Three meals for each weekday, and two meals for each weekend day.)
The 22 Meal Pick Up Locations Are:
- Hoover Elementary
- Sankofa Elementary
- West Oakland Middle School
- Allendale Elementary
- Bella Vista Elementary
- Cleveland Elementary
- Garfield Elementary
- La Escuelita
- Manzanita SEED/Manzanita Community
- Oakland High School
NOTE: We have ended food distribution at East Oakland Pride, Melrose Leadership, and Emerson Elementary and we are opening up one new food site at the co-located International Community School and Think College Now campus.
- Bret Harte Middle School
- Castlemont High School
- Coliseum College Preparatory Academy
- Elmhurst United Middle School
- Esperanza/Korematsu Elementary
- Fremont High School
- Frick Impact Academy
- Horace Mann Elementary
- International Community School / Think College Now
- Life Academy/United for Success
- Madison Park Upper
- New Highland/Rise Academy
Download a flyer with a map of sites