OUSD continues to work diligently to close a structural budget deficit. It has been a profound challenge to find areas where we can make adjustments while keeping reductions as far away from our students and classrooms as possible.
As we examined the Oakland Athletic League (OAL), it became clear that reductions to sports programs were necessary to ensure the District stays within budget. In an August 24 letter to school communities, Supt. Johnson-Trammell shared that ten sports programs would be eliminated for 2018-19. This was an extremely difficult decision, because we know how important sports are to students, their families and our school communities.
There has been much discussion and activity since August 24; please see the timeline below for the latest updates.
August 28, 2018
- The Oakland Raiders commit to donating $250,000! Read the full press release.
- Supt. Johnson-Trammell thanks the OUSD community for their support. Read the entire message.
August 27, 2018
- OUSD would like to extend deep gratitude to the anonymous community donors who have provided more than $38,000 specifically to restore our girls’ tennis, girls’ golf and girls’ lacrosse programs across the District. Additionally, bowling is being converted to a club sport. This means that all of our fall sports programs will continue. But there is still more work to be done to address winter and spring sports and to implement a sustainability plan.
- The Save Oakland Sports fundraising page is established for anyone who wishes to donate.
August 24, 2018
Excerpt from the letter:
The following 10 high school sports will be eliminated:
- Fall - Bowling, Girls’ Golf and Girls’ Tennis *see Aug. 27 update above*
- Winter - Wrestling
- Spring - Swimming, Boys’ Golf, Boys’ Tennis, Girls’ Lacrosse*, Girls’ Badminton and Boys’ Volleyball
The following high school sports will continue, with some reductions:
- Fall - Football, Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country, Cheer and Girls’ Volleyball
- Winter - Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer and Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball
- Spring - Baseball, Softball and Boys’ and Girls’ Track and Field
Middle school sports will remain unchanged.
If you have questions or ideas about how we can save sports programs, including ideas
for new funding sources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interim Oakland Athletic League Commissioner
Executive Director of Community Schools Student Services