JOIN OTHERS WHO CHOSE BURCKHALTER
We know that parents of elementary schools in Oakland have many choices, and we thank you for exploring Burckhalter. Here are 10 reasons why families choose Burckhalter.
- Joy - Students are happy at Burckhalter. Just walk through our hallways and see for yourself!
- Peace - Students experience how to create peace and how to resolve conflict effectively using restorative practices. Junior coaches (3rd-5th graders) lead games at lunchtime.
- Community - Students are taught how to build strong communities and how to be community leaders.
- Academic challenge - Because we are a personalized learning school, students who are on grade level or advanced are challenged to reach even greater academic heights through rigorous instruction.
- Academic support - Because we are a personalized learning school, students who are struggling academically get special attention to help them catch up and become advanced.
- Problem-Solving - In addition to academic skills such as reading, writing, and math, the students' experience is based mostly in thinking critically to solve real-world problems.
- Work habits - Students are taught habits of mind that will last beyond middle school, like goal setting, growth mindset, and effort.
- Safety - There have been fewer that 5% suspensions in the last five years and instances of bullying are resolved immediately.
- Leadership - The Burckhalter principal is the among the most senior principals for OUSD elementary schools.
- Teachers - Burckhalter carefully selects its teachers through a rigorous process to ensure we hire people who are good role models and strong instructors who continually seek to improve their craft.
- Because we are a public school, there is no tuition for the day program.
- There are no fees for the morning or afterschool student programs.