California Healthy Kids Surveys measure Student, Parent, & Staff perceptions of youth health, risk behavior, and resilience that informs our OUSD Social, Emotional, Learning (SEL) and positive school climate practices.May 16, 2017 NewsOur stakeholders have spoken!We actually surveyed:
- 16,928 Parents and Caregivers of all schools K-12
- 3433 Certificated and Classified OUSD Staff K-12
- 14,783 5th grade through 12th grade studentsThank you for being part of the solution to make OUSD an outstanding school district!The OUSD California Healthy Kids' Survey of 2017 took teamwork and commitment!What did we accomplish this year?How are we progressing to serve our community?We set survey participation goals so that we can have a strong representation when determining our district's next stepsParent Survey Goal : 40% of OUSD Families to take survey 48% Actually took SurveyStaff Survey : 90% of OUSD school site staff to take survey 100% Actually took SurveyStudent Survey : 70% of OUSD students 5th thru 12th graders to take survey 75% Actually took SurveyWe met the challenge!About this year's surveys:
- Each survey and it's questions were designed specifically for OUSD's Pathway to Excellence Plan
- Parent Survey: unique to OUSD and appreciated by the California Department of Education
- Staff Survey: What are we doing right? How can we improve?
- Student Surveys: Community Schools provide the conditions for success. Are we?What Questions Did We Ask of Our Stakeholders?Special thanks to all parents, students and our hard working staff who will build a powerful set of data that measure the success of our Community Schools, Thriving Students, & Continuous Improvement driven initiatives.
Thank you all!Data Driven Decision Making Steps:1) WestEd, our state partner, tallies all of the parent, student, and staff entered data and returns it to us in raw form.2) Our RAD staff build our reports that school leaders utilize in the development of their site plans for 2017-18.3) All OUSD departments meet in discussions over all OUSD comprehensive data sets including California Healthy Kids Data to allocate resources and devise strategies for Continuous Improvement.Our Surveys:Our Elementary, Secondary and Staff Surveys have been designed to grab the data meaningful for Continuous Improvement of our Community Schools, Thriving Students, School District.OverviewThe California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is a comprehensive youth risk behavior, resilience and positive school climate data collection service available to all California local education agencies (it is also available outside of California). It consists of a modular survey instrument tied to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Youth Risk Behavior Survey and to WestEd's California Student Survey, together with a full-service survey support system. Separate elementary, middle, and high school versions are taken.Since 1999, an integrated CHKS statewide representative sample has replaced both the California Student Survey and the Youth Risk Behavior Survey in California.HistoryOUSD has administered the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) for over a decade. It is now our official District survey and our primary method of gathering feedback from students, staff, and parents in support of serving children.California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) questions are so well aligned to our Strategic Plan and our goal to have Full-Service Community Schools in every neighborhood. Data will be used to steer the initiatives of the Strategic Plan and the development of Full-Service Community Schools.
StatewideThe California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is given to students throughout the state of California, in every school district. It asks students about their health, their habits, and how they feel about being at school.