History of Fremont
Under the guidance of Frank Stuart Rosseter, aided by the faculty of five, including Miss McMillan and Mrs. Lawson, upon the third floor of the Melrose Grammar School, in August, 1905, Union High School No. 4 came into existence. The first student body was composed of one hundred and thrirty pupils, and the first graduating class consisted of three seniors.
That marked the beginning of Fremont High School.
In 1906, due to the influx of students from the devastated area caused by the San Francisco fire and earthquake, the school moved to the present location on Foothill Boulevard, and was dedicated to, and named after, John C. Fremont. In 1913 part of the athletic field was added and a gymnasium was erected. At the same time, two wings were built onto the main building. In 1915 the annex was added and finally, in 1925, the athletic grounds were enlarged and improved, and bleachers were placed along the High Street boundary.
In the original school, games were played in the furnace room underneath the auditorium, and the student body dances took place in the halls. The two bungalows in front of the school dated from this period, being the first of many additions.
Principal Frank S. Rossetter passed away in 1915 after ten years of inspired leadership. He was succeded by Mr. Cox, who in 1917, was replaced by H. D. Brasefield, who had served as vice-principal to both of his predecessors.
The school, covering the grounds from the boulevard to Ygnacio Street and extendign from Forty-fifth Avenue to High Street, was considered one of the best equipped high schools in Oakland; the athletic field was the best of its kind in the locality, and the campus, carefully tended, was known as a spot of beauty.
On the night of January 1, 1930, a fire of unknown origin swept over the buildings, completely destroying the main portions and irreparably damaging the annex and gymnasiums. Only the shops, of concrete construction, were left unscathed. All records and equipment were lost, including the projects made by the different departments, which represented twenty-five years of student and faculty effort.
An appropriation was authorized by the Oakland School Board to construct a new building of modern type with even more facilities than the former edifice boasted.
So, a new Fremont is shortly to rise from the ashes of the old, to take once more the high place held by the school that was founded by Frank Stuart Rosseter.
(Extracted from the June 1930 edition of "The Flame" Fremont's yearbook publication)