Welcome to Bret Harte Middle School!Bret Harte Middle School is located in the Dimond/Laurel neighborhood. Students come from a large geographic area, making the student population one of the most ethnically and economically diverse in Oakland.
Bret Harte prepares students for high school and beyond. Established in 1930, the school currently serves approximately 600 students. More than 23,000 students have graduated from Bret Harte since it opened.Fun fact: Bret Harte's most famous alumnus is actor Tom Hanks (Class of 1971).
VisionBret Harte’s diverse community embraces mutual respect, hard work, and resilience to nurture the whole child in pursuit of academic excellence during the transition to young adulthood.
What sets Bret Harte apart:
- A comprehensive standards-based curriculum with project-based learning and labs
- Two electives each day
- Smaller class sizes
- An accelerated math program for strong learners
- An acclaimed instrumental music program
- Technical courses in coding, computer science and computer animation
- A three-tiered reading intervention program for sixth-graders to assure that the needs of all readers are met
- English Language Development (ELD) classes and a Newcomers' Program for new immigrants to the United States and others mastering academic English
- A strong Special Education Program for students who are hearing impaired, visually impaired or have a variety of other learning disabilities
- A comprehensive after-school program, free to all students, that features academic support and a wide variety of enrichment opportunities
- And so much more! Come to our Information Night or join us for a school tour!