Welcome to Bret Harte Middle School!Bret Harte Middle School is located in the Dimond/Laurel neighborhood. Students come from a large geographic area, making the student population one of the most ethnically and economically diverse in Oakland.
Bret Harte's diverse community embraces mutual respect, hard work and resilience to nurture the whole child in pursuit of academic excellence during the transition to young adulthood.Bret Harte prepares students for high school and beyond. Established in 1930, the school currently serves approximately 600 students. More than 23,000 students have graduated from Bret Harte since it opened. Our most famous alumnus is actor Tom Hanks (Class of 1971). We are one of the most diverse schools in all of Oakland, and proud of our commitment to serve all of our city's youth.
VisionBret Harte’s diverse community embraces mutual respect, hard work, and resilience to nurture the whole child in pursuit of academic excellence during the transition to young adulthood.
What Bret Harte Middle School offers:
- A comprehensive standards-based curriculum with project-based learning and labs. Teachers are currently in transition to the new Common Core State Standards in Math and English.
- A strong instrumental music program that enhances brain-growth and learning in other classes.
- An accelerated math program for strong learners—8th graders currently have access to Geometry and in the future will have access to Algebra after the transition to the new Common Core State Standards.
- A three tiered reading intervention program for sixth graders to assure that the needs of all readers are met.
- English Language Development (ELD) classes and a Newcomers' Program for new immigrants to the United States and others mastering academic English.
- A strong Special Education Program for students who are hearing impaired, visually impaired or have a variety of other learning disabilities.
- A comprehensive after school program (BASE) that features academic support and a wide variety of enrichment opportunities.