Welcome to Drama 101! In this elective class, you will learn all about the basics of acting. We will start the course by learning performance vocabulary, improvisation, monologue, how to build our acting community, and deciding on the first play we will perform for the fall semester! All students get to chose the department they want to work in.
Departments in Drama 101:
- Actor: I’m sure you guessed it - you’re the stage person! You act and your glory is seen by all. Voila!
- Extra: An extra is an actor, but they don’t have many speaking roles, if at all! You would be on stage, but probably would just stand in the background.
- Set Design: You design the sets as well as help to build them. Go you!
- Stage Crew: you are responsible for inventory of sets and props as well as moving things off and on during a show. You dress in black and run around the stage.
- Costumes: this person (or group of people) cold potentially make clothing, design and shop for clothing that would be our costumes for the actors. They are in charge of inventory of the clothing and cleaning as well.
- Assistant Director: You are my right hand guy or gal. You get me coffee, pay my bills and babysit my dog. Just kidding! But you are my right hand person. You take notes for me, run errands in the school, help specific groups stay on task and pretty much do whatever I need!
- Stage Manager: You are my link to the stage. You are in charge of the stage crew and making sure everything's running smoothly before, during and after the show. Only one person can do this.
You will also get the choice to change your department halfway through the year. All students are required to participate with the shows, no matter the department they are in! Field trips are also a fun way to experience theater. Twice a year we attend a musical in San Francisco and meet the actors after the show!
At UFSA, we perform two plays a year, one in the Fall and late Spring. Families and parents are welcome to get involved and come see the show! Can't wait to meet you - it's show time!
-Ms. Wallace & Ms. Gord
Ashley Wallace (Director) is a 7th grade Humanities and 6th, 7th and 8th grade Drama teacher at United for Success Academy and is now in her 8th year of teaching. She is a graduate of the City College of New York with a Bachelor of Arts in American History and English and a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction. She has over 20 years of experience in musical theater and in acting as both an actor and a director. She has performed in many shows including, “Cinderella,” “Annie,” “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” “Madam Butterfly,” “Carmen,” “Bye, Bye Birdie,” and “Le Nozze di Figaro.” She has been a part of such theater companies as Harlem Repertory Company, City College Theater, Oxford University Theater and Westminster College Opera Company. She is extremely proud of her drama students and all the hard work they have done! Because of YOU, look at where we ARE!
Sarah Gord (Director) teaches 7th grade Humanities and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Drama. She earned her bachelors in History and English from Oberlin College and is currently finishing her masters in education at Mills College. Her 15 years of theater experience includes on stage and behind the scenes work on shows like “Hairspray,” “Rent,” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” She also spent seven years teaching drama and improv in a camp setting, where she helped campers write and perform their own plays every two weeks. She loves the chaos and magic associated with theater and finds it truly rewarding to share that with young people!