What's for lunch?
All students at schools with breakfast programs receive breakfast at no charge.
Ask your school about your breakfast options:
- Traditional - breakfast in the cafeteria before the school day starts.
- Second chance breakfast - Breakfast is served in the cafeteria after the start of the school day but BEFORE 10:00 am. Meal times are set by the principals and usually occur during morning break.
- Breakfast in the Classroom - Breakfast is delivered to the classroom immediately after the first bell.
- Grab N’ Go (at some secondary schools)- Students pick up bagged breakfasts in locations throughout campus and eat meals either before class starts or in classroom.
Free & Reduced Price Meals
Children from families whose income is at or below levels specified on the Federal Eligibility Scale are eligible for free or reduced priced meals. Requirements and an application are available at all schools and online. For more information, call Nutrition Services at 434-3334.
EDUCATION CODE SECTIONS 49510– 49520, BOARD POLICY 3553, ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION 3553
Meal applications are important to schools and families because through the application process:
- The District & schools qualify for millions of dollars in State & Federal funding.
- Students can qualify for free or reduced nutritious meals.
- Students can qualify for reduced price AP (Advanced Placement) and SAT testing.
- Students can qualify for free afterschool programs.
- Teachers may have their student loans waived when they work for a school serving students receiving free and reduced-price meals.
Parents don’t need to have a Social Security number to apply and the information provided on the application is kept confidential.
All sponsors of child nutrition programs are required to offer meals to children with disabilities and children with special dietary needs whenever meals are served. OUSD Nutrition Services gladly makes special meals available. To learn more about special meals, please download our guidelines. For guidelines in additional languages, please contact the Nutrition Services Office at 510-434-3334
Guidelines for Special Needs/Meals
The Medical Statement Form to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations can be downloaded here: