Our Mission & Values
It is the mission of Sequoia Elementary School to provide a powerful education to all students, enabling them to become effective, contributing citizens in our democratic society. Our vision is to ensure that all students have access to our core program within the context of a heterogeneous classroom.
Classes at Sequoia are balanced in terms of gender, ethnicity, and academic achievement. We present a curriculum that addresses different levels of linguistic and cultural orientations, complexity, pace and material to all students, and a variety of enrichment programs. We are committed to fostering a positive school-wide climate, which supports this vision.
I AM RESPONSIBLE
- I follow through on things.
- I make my own choices between right and wrong.
- I can be trusted with important matters.
I AM RESPECTFUL
- I care about how other people feel.
- I believe other people’s thoughts, ideas and feelings are important.
- I treat people and things kindly and politely.
I AM HONEST
- I tell the truth.
- I am the “real me” at all times.
- I keep my word.
I AM COMPASSIONATE
- I think about how other people feel by putting myself in their place, especially when they are going through a difficult time.
- I do something to help.
Sequoia Equity Value Statement:
We acknowledge that significant gaps exist in academic opportunity and achievement and accept that we, as a school community, must play a primary role in closing these gaps.
Oakland Unified School District
All OUSD students will find joy in their academic experience while graduating with the skills to ensure they are caring, competent, fully-informed, critical thinkers who are prepared for college, career, and community success.
Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) will build a Full-Service Community District focused on high academic achievement while serving the whole child, eliminating inequity, and providing each child with excellent teachers, every day.