Environmental Safety at AWE & EnCompass
OVERVIEW OF ENVIRONMENTAL TESTING AT THE ACORN WOODLAND/ENCOMPASS CAMPUS
- On advice of the Alameda County Environmental Health Department, OUSD tested soil vapor at numerous outdoor locations on the Acorn Woodland/EnCompass Campus.
- The results of that testing showed the elevated levels of three chemicals, Perchloroethylene (PCE), benzene, and Trichloroethylene (TCE).
- There is no known risk at this time; however, PCE, benzene, and TCE are carcinogens that may cause harm with long-term exposure in the air.
- The State agency that oversees investigations and cleanup of hazardous materials releases to the environment did not recommend closing the Acorn/EnCompass campus or imposing access restrictions to buildings.
- The next step is to test the indoor air to see if these chemicals are also present inside the school buildings.
- OUSD will test the air inside all buildings across the campus.
- Indoor air testing is expected to begin on or around September 15/16 - final results are expected to be made public by mid to late November.
Oakland Unified School District
Rebecca Littlejohn, Risk Manager, email@example.com
City of Oakland
Ed Reiskin, Assistant City Administrator, EReiskin@oaklandca.gov
Jamie Turbak, Library Director, JTurbak@oaklandlibrary.org
County of Alameda
Nate Miley, Supervisor, District 3, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit www.acgov.org/board/district4/
Office of State Assembly Member Rob Bonta
Marcella Cortez, District Director, email@example.com
Office of State Senator Nancy Skinner
Margaret Hanlon-Gradie, Deputy Chief of Staff, Margaret.Hanlon-Gradie@sen.ca.
Alameda County Department of Environmental Health
Dilan Roe, Chief - Land & Water Division, firstname.lastname@example.org
California Department of Toxic Substances Control
Cheryl Prowell, Senior Hazardous Substances Engineer, email@example.com
Bay Area Air Quality Management District (For Outdoor Air Questions)
Henry Hilken, Director of Planning and Research, firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources & Communications
03/10/21 Community Message (link)
03/04/21 Community Message (link) 02/10/21 Community Message (link) 2020 12/07/20 Community Message (link) 11/19/20 Community Meeting: Recording | Presentation 11/18/20 Community Message (link) 11/16/20 Community Message (link) 09/11/20 Community Message (link)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)