What We're Working On
During our strategic planning process in Spring 2021, our working group identified four focus areas. Each focus area includes a list of Year 1 actions and deliverables, listed below. Status updates are reported quarterly.
For more information about how we’re monitoring progress, please visit our Progress Monitoring page. →
Four Areas of Focus
For this initiative, each focus area is brought to life across the stages of educator development to meet the needs and opportunities of educators at that point of their career. Our focus areas also maximize the collective impact work required to effectively grow and support a dynamic, representative educator workforce that research has proven benefits all students.
Strengthening partnerships across key stakeholder groups in the Bay Area, in particular with individuals and organizations of color, to support the other three focus areas.
Creating clear pathways for our students to become educators, activating the desire to teach for local citizens, and providing opportunities for Black and Brown community members.
Strengthen affinity-based support structures
Establishing dynamic, affinity-based support structures for educators across OUSD.
Strengthen conditions for educator learning and continued growth
Creating conditions in school that serve educators, students, and families; building nimble growth opportunities to meet educators’ ever-evolving needs; removing inequitable barriers for Black and Brown folks in Oakland to become and stay educators; adapting teaching and learning based on what has been learned through the pandemic.
- Stage 1 of Development: Black and Brown Aspiring Educators in High School and College
- New Panel
- Stage 2 of Development: Black and Brown Aspiring Educators with a Bachelor's Degree
- Stage 3 of Development: Early Career Black and Brown Educators
- Stage 4 of Development: Black and Brown Practicing and Experienced Educators
Built into this Strategic Plan are concrete action plans, deliverables, and metrics by which to measure our success. The Plan also includes an ongoing dialogue with the community so we can continue to engage in meaningful partnership. From now until June 2024, OUSD will:
- Convene working groups to monitor year 1 actions and establish future actions and deliverables. (For more information about our working groups, please see our FAQ page.)
- Organize quarterly co-chair engagements with the Superintendent for progress updates and guidance.
- Provide additional opportunities for community engagement.
- Share the strategic plan with the broader community.
We invite you to stay connected by keeping an eye on our Get Involved page (here →) for opportunities to raise your voice and share your vision for change in OUSD.