District 7Director James Harris510/879-8199 x37Second Term Ends: January 4, 2021
James Harris became the District 7 Board Trustee on January 7, 2013 and proudly serves the students, families, and schools of Oakland. He is an Oakland native, a former teacher, entrepreneur, husband and dad.
Harris was elected, by his colleagues, Vice President of the Board on January 6, 2014; President on January 5, 2015; re-elected President on January 4, 2016; and elected President, again, on January 5, 2017.
He studied American Literature at Georgia State University and Communications at Santa Clara University. Professionally, he is a media consultant specializing in web and brand development.
Harris is also a member and two-time co-chair of the Youth Ventures JPA, a collaboration of the County of Alameda, the City of Oakland and the Oakland Unified School District, designed to combine and coordinate efforts to secure and leverage resources to improve outcomes for vulnerable children and youth.
District 7 Public Schools
- Acorn Woodland (K-5)
- Alliance Academy (6-8)
- Brookfield (K-5)
- Elmhurst Community Preparatory (6-8)
- Encompass Academy (K-5)
- Esperanza (K-5)
- Fred T. Korematsu Discovery Academy (K-5)
- Grass Valley (TK-5)
- Howard (K-5)
- Madison Park Lower Campus, formerly Sobrante Park (K-5)
- Madison Park Upper Campus, formerly Madison (6-9)
- New Highland Academy (K-5)
- Reach Academy (TK-5)
- Rise (K-5)
- Castlemont (9-12)
- Rudsdale Continuation School (11-12)
- Sojourner Truth Independent Study
- Bay Area Technology School (6-12)
- *Cox Academy - Education for Changer* (K-5)
- Lighthouse Community Charter School (K-8)
- Lighthouse Community Charter High School (9-12)
- LPS Oakland R&D (9-12)
- Lionel Wilson College Preparatory Academy (6-12)
- Monarch Academy (K-5)
- *Charter approved by the Alameda County Board of Education