Library Resources for Everyone
Oakland Unified School District provides a number of information and digital literacy resources that support student learning. We connect with Oakland Public Library resources and databases through our Oakland Promise Card, and UC Berkeley with our lending partnership with UC Berkeley. Have a look at these Credibility Guidelines from Teacher-Librarian at Albany High School for a good overview for your research and resources.
Online Library Catalogs: To view any Oakland public school's online catalog, click on the Library Catalogs tab to the left, and then click on the school name.
Digital Educational content: Online content from Encyclopedia Britannica, ProQuest research databases, and TeachingBooks.net are available – at school, at home, in libraries, on laptops, on phones - to all.
These robust digital resources provide teachers and students with over a million pieces of educational multimedia content in a massive online library of books, scientific research, newspaper articles, photos, videos and more -- all aligned with the curriculum that California has created for its schools. The content provided is age-appropriate, offers differentiated reading levels and covers California’s elementary through highschool curriculum.
Thank you to the California State Library for providing these databases for all California students.
Encyclopedia Britannica (PreK-12): A comprehensive interactive resource for research and everyday information. Includes valuable teacher resources. Please watch these tutorial videos ( 1- 3 min each ) to learn more!
Need help from Britannica? (800) 621-3900 x 7160 email@example.com
TeachingBooks.net (PreK-12): One-stop resources for books you are reading and teaching, including author and illustrator interviews, lesson plans, and other enrichment content.
Need help from TeachingBooks.net? (800) 596-0710 accounts@TeachingBooks.net
- CultureGrams – Concise cultural information on countries around the world.
- eLibrary – General reference aggregation of periodical and digital media content with editorial guidance for novice researchers.
- ProQuest Central Student – Database of millions of articles from more than 10,000 full-text scholarly journals.
- SIRS Discoverer – Selected content for beginning researchers, especially elementary and middle school students and educators.
- SIRS Issues Researcher – Curriculum-aligned database of content organized by complex issues, ideally for middle and high school students and educators.
- Research Companion – Information literacy tools and tutorials to help develop critical thinking.
- School & Educators Complete – eBook subscription database of over 12,000 titles that supports English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology.
Need help from ProQuest? (800) 521-0600 ext. 72971 firstname.lastname@example.org
Usernames and passwords for remote access, see here.
Gale: (Currently not active)
- Gale Student Resources in Context (9-12) Trusted and comprehensive databases for scholarly research. Password needed for remote access.
- Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context (9-12). Ideal for controversial topics research. Password needed for remote access.
- Gale ebooks (reference books for 6-12) References specifically for the upper grades; cover to cover access to top books for research on a variety of subjects.
NBC Learn K-12 is an online resource with thousands of videos from NBC News that you and your students can use in classwork, homework, presentations and instruction.
Please see here for Congress, Civic Participation, and Primary Sources Projects, and here for more information on accessing and utilizing. Please see here for the Fact Checker's Guide to Manipulated Video