Super Stars Literacy is an early literacy intervention program that provides in-school and after-school services to K-2nd grade students whose low literacy skills place them at high risk of later academic failure. The program has three components:
1. Extended Learning Program: Students attend the extended learning program daily and receive literacy instruction in phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency, as well as social emotional support in empathy, impulse control, and conflict negotiation. The extended learning program is led by AmeriCorps Members (known as “Group Leaders”) who receive 250 hours per year of intensive training in classroom management and instruction.
- Opening Circle and Newsletter
- Literacy Mini-Lessons
- Read-Aloud and Extension Activity
- Guided Reading and Centers
- Closing Circle
2. In-School Intervention: Group Leaders spend the school day providing small group focused literacysupport. This support focuses on specific, proven skills that will help strengthen overall reading progress.
3. Family Engagement: SSL provides opportunities for caregivers to learn more about their child’s literacy and social emotional development via regular outreach, family reading nights, and other special events.