September is Attendance Awareness Month
OUSD recognizes that good attendance is essential to academic success. The District has joined a nationwide effort to celebrate Attendance Awareness Month in September and pledged to raise awareness about the value of regular school attendance and focus on reducing chronic absenteeism in the new school year.
Be Present: Attendance Matters!
Did You Know?
- Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing 10 percent (or about 18 days) can make it harder to learn to read.
- Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
- Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up