ASCEND is an Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound school that collaborates closely with the Museum of Children’s Art (MOCHA), the Oakland Youth Chorus, and Alameda County Office of Education. Family involvement and community partnerships play a critical role at ASCEND. We work closely with Oakland Community Organizations and the Bay Area Coalition for Equitable Schools.
ASCEND provides teachers with:
• Professional development in inquiry-based classroom research
• One on one coaching
• Opportunities to play many roles in developing our school
Our students enjoy:Results:
• Art and music every day
• Integrated and deep exploration of content
• Looping with one teacher for two years
• Small classes
• Authentic assessments
• An outstanding after-school program
• Reading intervention, counseling, individualized academic help
Our Academic Performance Index (API) score is 742.
The API crunches California Standards Test (CST) scores into one number. A few of our most recent (2009) CST highlights:• 77% of our 5th-graders scored Proficient or Advanced in Math.
• 60% of our 8th-graders scored Proficient or Advanced in Algebra I.
• 66% of our redesignated English Learners