Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)The California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) - 3 Surveys in 1:What is the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)?The California Healthy Kids Survey is a health and wellness survey that measures if our schools have a positive learning environment, if people feel as they have opportunities for meaningful participation, if students feel cared about and are held to high expectations, and what students (anonymously) have to say about their own health behaviors.Who takes the survey?
How are data from the survey used?The results of the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) are made available to parents, staff, and students so that everyone can work together to determine the most important needs of our school communities in order to improve overall safety, health and wellness, and youth development programs in our emerging Full-Service Community Schools. In addition, principals coordinate the use of CHKS data for school improvement in parent, staff, and student meetings.Where can I see the coordination of CHKS data and OUSD’s Full-Service Community Schools vision?Visit www.thrivingstudents.org for more information about how OUSD is using the insights gained from the California Healthy Kids Survey to achieve its vision of creating Full-Service Community Schools for all students.Where can I view survey results and see the questions on the surveys?Click on the side (left) menu bar titled, “2011-12 California Healthy Kids Surveys: For Students, Parents, and Staff” to view survey results and actual survey questions.Where can I find tools for improving school positive learning environment?Visit http://californias3.wested.org/ for more tools and resources.Where can I find more information about the development of this survey and the history of the questions?For a full history of the development of the California Healthy Kids Survey, please visit http://chks.wested.org/.Who can I call if I want to talk to someone about the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS)?For more information about the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS), please call Robert Dousa, OUSD California Healthy Kids Survey Administrator, at (925) 321-0818 or email him at email@example.comHow OUSD plans on using data from the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) to fulfill its mission of creating Full-Service Community Schools for all students:The California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) measures the following conditions at our schools:
- Parents get an opportunity to express their view of what's needed (there are 18 languages available).
- School staff express what they feel are the most important strengths and challenges of their school.
- Students in grades 5-12 self-report about their take on relationships with adults and a wide range of their health behaviors (surveys are age appropriate; parents give permission for students to take surveys).
- Condition #1: The school has a core instructional program with qualified teachers, a challenging curriculum, and high standards and expectations for students.
- Condition #2: Students are motivated and engaged in learning, both in school and in community settings, during and after school.
- Condition #3: The basic physical, mental and emotional health needs of young people and their families are recognized and addressed.
- Condition #4: There is mutual respect and effective collaboration among parents, families, and school staff.
- Condition #5: Community engagement, together with school efforts, promotes a school climate that is safe, supportive, respectful, and connects students to a broader learning community.
http://californias3.wested.org/ provides tools and strategies for what you can do right now to improve the conditions of our schools.
Last Modified on December 12, 2016