Tech Parent University
Tech Parent University (TPU) is a program for parents and caregivers of Tech students to connect with each other, share skills, learn important information and build a stronger and more supportive community. Led by Debra Carter-Kelly, the sessions focus on cultural engagement, cross-cultural sharing and social interactions and events.
Ms. Carter-Kelly is available for appointments 8:30 a.m. — 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the school year. You may contact her at email@example.com to schedule a convenient time.
TPU initiates a lifepoint parent engagement program that includes:
- Meeting and greeting the diverse pool of parents, answering their parenting questions, helping them resolve family issues and directing them to the appropriate program and community leader(s)
- Coordinating and delivering lifepoint parent workshops, teleseminars and courses
- Disseminating information for families that build parent capacity
- Supporting upon request the OTHS staff with parent conferences by providing a directed prioritized plan that includes:
- Tools and skills to help improve the quality of life
- Parenting skills
- Fierce communications strategies and tactics
As a relationship strategist, Ms. Kelly recognizes the important responsibility parents and caregivers have in shaping the lives of children and the tremendous amount of required work. TPU is a way for parents to get extra support to help ensure their children’s success at home and school as well as have fun engaging with other parents.
Victor Frankl said, “Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom.” It can be challenging to find that sweet spot between your child’s behavior and your parental response. Getting to calm, discovering the means of detaching, being mindful of your own feelings and triggers, and being conscious of your response all enhance your relationship with your child and are beautiful gifts to receive.
If you have questions or need additional information about Ms. Kelly’s services as the Tech’s TPU Parent Liaison, please reach out to her at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 463-1163.
Get support along your parenting journey. You don’t have to do this alone!