Physical Education Requirements
Tech’s Physical Education Dept. focuses on helping Bulldog students become physically literate individuals with the knowledge, confidence and skills to enjoy a lifetime of healthful activities.
To meet the high school graduation requirement in PE, students must complete 20 credits by the end of their senior year.
9th and 10th Grade
PE is required for all 9th and 10th grade students.
PE Clothes Policy
All students who take PE will be required to wear an Oakland Technical High School PE uniform.
- Uniforms are purchased during registration for $25. If this presents an undue hardship, financial assistance is available via the form Financial Aid Request for PE Uniforms and we will address the matter as soon as possible. This is a confidential process.
- If you would like to make a donation to the PTSA for PE uniforms, you may also do so by using the form PE Uniform Donation form
CA Physical Fitness Test Requirements
9th grade students must take the state-mandated Physical Fitness Test (PFT), which consists of:
- One-mile run
- 90º push-ups
- Shoulder stretch
- Trunk lift
Please review the district’s policy regarding the PFT below.
Updated OUSD Policy on PE, Fitness Test & Credit for Sports
OUSD has begun the process of updating district policies and regulations to ensure compliance with legal requirements, equitable education opportunities for our students and high quality instruction in Physical Education. More information about these efforts will be available in the coming months.
In the meantime, please review the following summary of the California Education Code for High School Physical Education:
- Students who pass the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) in grade 9 (scored in the Healthy Fitness Zone in five of six measures) may take their second year of Physical Education in grades 10, 11, or 12. It is their choice.
- Students who do not pass the PFT (do not score in the Healthy Fitness Zone in five of six measures) must take their second year of Physical Education in 10th grade. They must do one or a combination of the following in the 10th grade for a total of two semesters:
- Advanced Sports;
Note: All students are required to take the PFT in 5th, 7th, and 9th grades only
- Students are not required to pass the PFT to receive Physical Education credit.
- PFT scores ARE NOT used as a basis for a student’s Physical Education grade.
- Students are NO LONGER required to pass the PFT to earn Advanced Sports credit. In the 18-19 school year, Advanced Sports may count for Physical Education credit as long as the OAL Guidelines are being followed (attendance to practices and games documented).
- Each sport/season that a student participates in counts as Advanced Sports participation for one semester — i.e., played football in the fall and baseball in the Spring = 1 year of Advanced Sports credit
- OUSD’s research and review process includes looking at best practices for Advanced Sports (Oakland Athletic League) credit for High Schools.
If you have questions about this information or require additional information, please contact Mr. Price at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guide to Understanding the PFT
“A” Period PE in Action