Medications & Minor Emergencies
OUSD has school nurses (stationed in the TechniClinic) and offers on-site health services through the TechniClinic, managed by La Clínica de la Raza. If a student becomes too ill to remain in class, he or she must obtain a blue pass from the teacher and report to the TechniClinic.
- TechniClinic staff will provide immediate care for minor emergencies.
- Administration of prescription medication during school hours is also managed through the TechniClinic, provided a note from the child’s physician and parent is on file and the medication is in the original container.
School Closure for Emergencies
School closing information will be conveyed via emergency radio stations, such as KCBS (740 AM), KGO (810 AM) or KNBR (680 AM). The school or school district also calls all families to report emergencies or safety incidents. Be sure your emergency card is updated and your phone number is current. You may do this through the AERIES.net parent portal.
Major Emergencies and Disasters
Oakland Tech has a School Site Safety Plan on file in the Principal’s office. In the event of a major disaster:
- Students will only be released to individuals listed on the student’s Emergency Card.
- Al Kyte Field (Tech’s football field) is the neighborhood Disaster Command Post.
- All students will gather on the football field. The school will contact parents to ask that students be picked up. Students will only be released to individuals who are listed on the students’ Emergency Cards. All adults coming to pick up students in the case of an emergency MUST show their identification card.
- In the event of a disaster, please do not call the school or make personal arrangements with your child without contacting a school official. As soon as possible, someone from the school will contact parents following a disaster, or information will be conveyed via emergency radio stations, such as KCBS (740 AM), KGO (810 AM) or KNBR (680 AM).
Emergency Cards ARE Important!
Emergency cards are the final word on who is authorized as a contact in an emergency. Only parents, guardians, or individuals listed on the card may sign out a student from school. Keeping your student’s emergency card up to date with your latest phone number and address is critical should an emergency arise. To make changes to your card, please bring or mail to the Attendance Office evidence of your new information (utility bill, phone bill, etc.) You may also do this via AERIES.net.