The Healthy Oakland Kids & Teens Curriculum is delivered each school year in grades 5-9. Each grade level receives age appropriate information based on California state guidelines.
- 9th Grade Sex Ed Week takes place in the fall (usually in November) and the series of 10 lessons are taught by trained Biology and ELA teachers.
- Middle School Puberty Health & Sex Ed Weeks take place in the spring (usually in March) and the lessons are delivered by trained middle school Science teachers.
- 5th Grade Puberty Health Week takes place in the winter (usually in January) and the lessons are delivered by trained 5th grade teachers.
Teachers: For information on when you will receive training on the Healthy Oakland Kids or Healthy Oakland Teens curriculum, please contact Katie Kelly-Hankin TSA for Sexual Health Education at email@example.com.
Teacher Feedback on Healthy Oakland Teens PD:
“I feel prepared to teach my 5th graders about puberty after completing this training. Thank you for a job well done!”
-5th Grade Teacher after completing Puberty Health Professional Development (PD)
“Honestly, best PD I've ever had.”
-9th Grade Teacher after completing Comprehensive Sex Ed PD
“I think the curriculum is incredibly comprehensive”
-Middle School Teacher after completing Puberty & Comprehensive Sex Ed PD
"The PD was very helpful to me as a new teacher. I feel confident about what I need to do to prepare for these lessons, how to be more inclusive in my classroom, and where to go for help. Thank you!!"
-New Teacher after completing Consent & Harassment PD
"Excellent curriculum. Valuable. Relevant. Needed."
-Middle School teacher after completing Consent & Harassment PD
"Wonderful training from the sex ed department once again! These are my favorite trainings. I learned so much and always feel confident teaching these lessons because the teacher-facing resources are so comprehensive. The 5th Grade inclusive lessons have made such a difference in my classroom culture. Really looking forward to building community with these middle school lessons."
- Former 5th Grade teacher/ current Middle School Teacher after completing Consent & Harassment PD
"Thank you for such an enriching PD concerning these very important issues...I feel equipped to guide my students in better understanding these issues and empowering them!"
- Middle School Teacher after completing Consent & Harassment PD
Montera Middle School teachers get ready for Middle School Sex Ed Weeks