Puberty and Sexual Health Education
OUSD’s Puberty & Sexual Health Education programming is possible through funding from the CDC’s Division of Adolescent and School Health. The Healthy Oakland Teens and Healthy Oakland Kids curricula were designed specifically for OUSD with input from OUSD teachers, students and parents, and approved by the School Health Advisory Council.
The curriculum is aligned with:
- The National Sexuality Education Standards
- California Education Code 51930-51939
- The California Health Education Standards
- The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) mandates:
- Comprehensive Sexual Health Education must be taught in middle school and high school.
- Content must be medically accurate, objective and unbiased.
- Content must be appropriate for use with students of all races, genders, sexual orientations and ethnic and cultural backgrounds, students with disabilities and English learners.
Teacher on Special Assignment, Sexual Health Education