September 3rd, 2021 Virtual Racial Justice Summit
1:00-1:35 Opening Panel on Lessons Learned in Implementing Racial Justice & Antiracism in OUSD Schools
1:45-3:15 Concurrent Racial Justice Workshops:
- Ethnic Studies 101 & OUSD’s Framework
- Implementing the George Floyd Resolution & Police-Free Schools
- Cultivating Healing & Community in the Classroom
- Equity Traps: Developing Mindfulness & Counter-Strategies
- Preventing & Addressing Islamophobia and Bullying in Our Schools
- Equity in Family Engagement: Parent Teacher Home Visit (PTHV) Training
Ethnic Studies 101 & OUSD’s Framework
Facilitators: Leah Aguilera (Ethnic Studies TSA), Chela Delgado (CCPA Ethnic Studies Teacher), Marisa Villegas (Latino/a Student Achievement)
- Overview OUSD’s Ethnic Studies framework, including pedagogical principles, and dialogue on implementation of antiracist and culturally responsive curriculum in classrooms and beyond.
- Ground in student outcomes, performance assessment projects, and learnings in Oakland’s current context.
Implementing the George Floyd Resolution & Police-Free Schools
Facilitator: Misha Karigaca (George Floyd Design Team and Attendance & Discipline Support Services)
- Identify our roles in helping to implement police-free schools and building cultures of true safety.
- Locate our work within the broader ecosystem of systemic change in OUSD.
Please Note: A portion of the workshop was not included in the recording, pardon the interruption!
Cultivating Healing & Community in the Classroom
Facilitators: Leilani Salvador (BAY-Peace Director) & Youth Leaders Cinthya Barron-Broussard & Sam Martinez
- Understand the 5 principles of Healing-Centered Engagement and begin making concrete plans for how we can integrate them into our classroom routines and curriculum outlines.
Equity Traps: Developing Mindfulness & Counter-Strategies
Facilitators: Lailan Sandra Huen (Equity - Antiracist Learning), Eve Delfin (Equity - Latino Targeted Specialist)
- Explore the most common ‘equity traps’ in schools that are shaped by racist belief systems.
- Develop mindfulness around how these show up in Oakland schools and how we can interrupt these behaviors.
- Share experiences in small groups to collaboratively develop counter-strategies to show up for racial justice.
Preventing & Addressing Islamophobia and Bullying in Our Schools
Facilitators: Jehan Hakim (Equity, Arab American Specialist)
- Deepen an understanding of the definition of Islamophobia, its historical context and its impact on American Muslim youth.
- Understanding how to address and prevent bullying in our schools, and develop ideas for Bullying Prevention Month in October.
Equity in Family Engagement: Parent Teacher Home Visit (PTHV) Training
Facilitator: Raquel Jimenez, Ylda Garica, Judith Mendez (Office of Equity)
- Build intentional relationships with students’ families to engage them as partners to assure equity and access for all of our students.
- Understand OUSD’s anti-racist family engagement framework and learn about the virtual PTHV adapted protocol and best practices.
FYI this training is required to be in-person and cannot be recorded.