Oakland High School
By-Laws for School Site Council (SSC)
Section I: The purpose and duties of the SSC:
- Review and approve the proposed Single Plan for Student Achievement, including the budget.
- Provide ongoing review of the implementation of the plan, making modifications to the plan whenever the need arises.
- Submit the modified plan to the Office of Accountability whenever a material change is made in planned activities or related expenditures.
- Semi-annually evaluate the progress made toward school goals to raise the achievement of all students.
- Accept the responsibilities of the School Advisory Council (SAC), if that council so requests.
Section II: Records of the SSC
The following records relating to the SSC are to be kept in the school’s main office:
- A roster of persons selected/elected to the SSC with name, address, email address and telephone numbers (as provided by the SSC members).
- The schedule and information on content of training activities for SSC members.
- A schedule of dates and locations of SSC meetings.
- Announcements, agendas, sign-in sheets, and minutes of each SSC meeting.
Section III: Membership
- Composition of the SSC
- The Council shall be constituted to ensure parity between (a) the principal, classroom teachers, and other school personnel; and (b) equal numbers of parents and students.
- At Oakland High, the membership of this committee shall not exceed __10__.
- 50% will be school staff: Principal, 3 classroom teachers, and 1 classified staff
- 50% will be 3 parents/community members, and 2 students
- SSC members representing parents and/or other community members shall not be employees of the school.
- Election Procedure
- Classroom teachers will be elected at the first Faculty meeting of the year, by their peers.
- One support/classified staff member will be elected by the support/classified staff at a meeting or other form of general consent.
- Parents/community members will be elected at a publicized open meeting prior to during the September SSC meeting.
- Student members will be elected as determined by student government and or by attending SSC meetings and expressing interest and being on SSC.
- Members may be re-elected and serve more than one term so long as they meet SSC membership requirements (i.e. parent of a student and not employed at the school, etc.)
- Term of Membership
- Adults shall serve for a term of two (2) years
- Students shall serve for one (1) year
- Officers: 2 year terms
- Resignation: Any member may resign by filing a written letter of resignation with the Council Chairperson & Principal.
- Vacancies shall be filled by:
- An elected member of the respective parity group and/or
- Election of a replacement member (by the parity group) to complete the current term
5.) Cause & procedures for termination of membership:
- Cause: For four (4) unexcused absences of regularly scheduled meetings or for other irregularities in conduct
- Procedure: After discussion, a vote of the majority of the quorum has to be present
- Voting Rights:
- Each member is entitled to one (1) vote
- Absentee votes are not permitted
- Quorum: A majority of the membership (6), including at least one (1) parent/community member
Section IV: Officers of the SSC
- A. The officers of the SSC shall be a chairperson, a vice-chairperson, and a secretary.
- Chairperson. The chairperson shall:
- preside at all meetings of the council
- sign all letters, reports, and other communications of the council
- perform all duties incident to the office of chairperson
- have other duties as may be prescribed by the council
- Vice-Chairperson. The Vice Chairperson shall:
- represent the chairperson in assigned duties
- substitute for the chairperson during his or her absence
- Secretary. The secretary shall:
- keep minutes of all regular and special meetings of the council
- transit true and correct copies of the minutes of such meetings to members of the council
- keep a register of the name, address, telephone number and email address of each member of the council, as furnished by these persons
- perform other duties as are assigned by the chairperson or by the council.
- maintain the records of the SSC including the schedule of dates and locations of the SSC meetings, announcements, agendas, sign-in sheets, and minutes of each SSC meeting.
- Parliamentarian (optional), to resolve questions of procedure based on Roberts Rules of Order
- B. Committees:
The council may establish and abolish standing or special sub-committees to perform duties as prescribed by the council, but not exercise the authority of the council.
Section V: Meetings
- A. Regular meeting information:
- Day: third (3rd) Thursday of each month
- Time: 5:00-6:30pm
Join Zoom Meeting
ousd.zoom.us/j/85150527004?pwd=R... (ID: 85150527004, password: 210981)
- Special meetings: may be called by the Chairperson or a majority of members, with 72 hours notice.
- All meetings must adhere to the Green Act:
- Must be open to the public for discussion and or debate by any person present at the meetings
- Must be a public posting of the meeting and agenda at least 72 hours in advance of the meeting via website, marquee, robo calls, email and or flyers.
- Non voting members can speak and participate in the discussions.
Section VI: ByLaws
May be amended/changed by a 2/3 majority of quorum present
The ByLaws of the SSC were approved on ______September 17, 2020________________.
___________Charlene Johnson __Matin Abdel-Qawi_______
Chairperson signature Principal Signature