Squirrel Swag Pop Up Shop, Thursday 12/16
Shop our current inventory of t-shirts, hoodies, hats, and other swag Thursday 12/16 at 2:30-4pm (if its not raining). We’ll have limited merchandise at the event with new swag and a selection of hats, adult hoodies, and lanyards. Meet our SPTO merchandise volunteers.
Sign-up to help organize and/or become a coach for this event : HEREIt's time to get ready for the 43rd Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Oratorical! The MLK Oratorical Festival is a beloved Oakland tradition where we celebrate the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The creators of this festival intended for it to be an opportunity for students to gain an understanding of Dr. King's legacy as a civil rights leader who used his skill as an amazing orator to fight for the equal treatment of Black Americans in the United States.Every year, Sequoia participates by putting on a schoolwide oratorical festival. We invite judges to watch and score the performances. Our highest scoring performers are sent on to the OUSD district level competition. We achieve this through the work and support of our caregiver volunteers. All students are welcome and encouraged to participate.To get inspired, check out the 2020 HBO documentary trailer for We Are The Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical.Also, this clip from the movie of We Are the Dream (2020): Cole Provost "How Are We Changing the World?".To that end: We need your help! We will need volunteers to help coach/guide our performers, and volunteers to help plan and organize the performance event.If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Charron at: email@example.com Hope to see you there!
Bike Day - To be rescheduled
Unfortunately, due to extra COVID precautions, Bike Day will be rescheduled in 2022.
Get your wheels ready! ACORNS is excited to announce that Sequoia Bike Day is back! For those who are new to the school or who haven't been able to attend in past years, Sequoia Bike Day is an opportunity for the whole school to come together for a weekend afternoon of family biking and scooting!
Sequoia Bike Day is from 1:00-3:00pm PT on the blacktop at school.
This year we have an exciting lineup of activities for all ages! Events include:
- Bike Mobile – get your bikes tuned up and road ready with the Bay Area's best mobile bike repair shop. All minor bike repairs and tune-ups are free!
- Bike Blenders from Safe Routes to School – make your own fruit smoothie with a bike powered blender.
- Bike Decorating – Add a little flair to your ride at our bike decorating station, sponsored by ACORNS.
- Bike Rodeo from Cycles for Change – Learn how to fit your helmet and bike, do a bike safety check, the rules of the road, and bike street skills (how to ride safely on the street, at intersections, and turning). This activity is for 3rd - 5th graders only and requires advanced registration here (bikes/helmets available to borrow)
- We're still working on food, but we anticipate having light snacks and maybe a few treats for sale to benefit Sequoia.
Bike day is a completely free event for all Sequoia families. We hope that everyone can join us on December 5th. Sequoia Bike Day is one of our most treasured school traditions and we are so grateful to be able to do it again this year. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email Ben Grimes.
Hope to ride with everyone soon!
ACORNS Bike Day Team