2020-21 OUSD ECE-8th Grade Ethnic Studies Cohort
OUSD teachers and school sites will work together to advance the guidance and resources provided to ECE-8th Grade teachers to integrate Ethnic Studies pedagogy and content into social studies and other curriculum. The OUSD Ethnic Studies Framework is the starting place for developing these materials.
- To develop a clear flow of handoffs from ECE to Elementary to Middle School to existing High School Ethnic Studies classes and content in OUSD.
- To develop grade-appropriate Ethnic Studies standards and model lesson plans for teachers to be in alignment and also adapt for their students.
- For OUSD students to be grounded in the history of Oakland, to have self-awareness of their own identities, experiences and power, and to work towards community and global justice.
Building on OUSD's 2015 Ethnic Studies Policy, the May 27th, 2020 School Board Ethnic Studies Resolution inspired the creation of this cohort, which was initiated by OUSD teachers: “BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Board of Education directs staff to move forward a plan and timeline to support OUSD high school social studies and other teachers in the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum, adapt curriculum for middle school and elementary school grades, and adapt Oakland-specific course materials that teach students the rich and diverse history of Oakland’s many ethnic populations and the racial and social dynamics that impact our young people, schools and community everyday.”
WHO: Any teacher of grades ECE-8th grade who is already implementing Ethnic Studies pedagogy and content in OUSD can apply. We will be looking for teacher leaders, for teachers who are working in school sites that are already committed to integrating Ethnic Studies throughout grade levels, and for a diverse representation of teachers by cultural background, geography, experience, and perspective.
- ECE (3 Teachers)
- TK & K (3 Teachers)
- 1st-2nd (3 Teachers)
- 3rd-5th (4 Teachers)
- 6-8th (4 Teachers)
Each grade space group would include teachers from across school sites & regions, including dual language schools. Pilot school sites will be matched to coordinate and support each other.
- Monthly 2 hour Zoom sessions to develop grade level standards from Fall 2020 - Spring 2021:
- 1-2 Weeks in Summer 2021 (June or July) to develop sample lesson plans and units.
- Partner pilot sites and principals will commit to using staff PD time to these projects.
This work is being funded by the Academics department to pay teachers for their time and contributions. This is a partnership between the Office of Equity and the Linked Learning Office with support from History / Social Studies staff and Ethnic Studies leaders in Oakland and beyond.
INFO SESSION / Q&A: Thursday, October 8th, 2020, 4:30-5:30pm
Questions: Please feel free to contact Lailan Sandra Huen in the Office of Equity <email@example.com> to RSVP to the Information Session (and receive Zoom link) or with any questions!