The Alameda County Office of Education offers an all-online Clear Career Technical Education (CTE) Teacher Credentialing Program.
Qualifying candidates will be granted the Preliminary CTE Credential and will participate in ACOE’s Clear CTE program.
Teachers who possess a valid clear single-subject, multiple-subject, or educational specialist credential take an 8-week course.
Spring Term: March 4, 2022
Fall Term: August 29, 2022
State Minimum Requirements
Actual industry experience (not teaching): 1 year full-time or 1,000 hours part-time in the last 5 years, or, 2 years full-time or 2,000 hours part-time in the last 10 years.
This work can be for an employer, including extra-curricular work, self-employment, volunteering, and/or avocational (hobby).
Overall 3-year Work Experience: One year of teaching experience counts as one year towards this requirement. Industry-related college credit counts up to 2 years.
Follow the 3 Steps to Apply for details. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 670-7713.
UC Berkeley Extension Career Technical Education Teacher Credential Step-by-Step
The CTE or Adult Education preliminary-to-clear credentialing program offers an online or campus-based instructional sequence for an estimated cost of $4,125 (CTE) or $3,310 (Adult Ed) for applicants who do not have a cleared single or multiple subject credential. Note that each of the stages must be fully completed before proceeding to the next.
- Get District/School Pre-Approval
- Complete a Certificate of Clearance through CTC.
- Self-Evaluate using the CTE or Adult Education pre-qualifying worksheet.
- Communicate with the district's CTE Credential Support Consultant, Susan Benz Susan.Benz@ousd.org, to identify the specific credentialing area(s) you will pursue.
- Qualify for UC Berkeley Extension
- Request eligibility audit, attaching relevant transcripts and work verification form(s).
- Create a UCB Student Account and pay CTE or Adult Ed program application fee ($200)
- Apply for a Preliminary Credential
- Download and complete the Credential Authorization Form (do not include SS# or DOB).
- We will contact you for final signatures and details for paying CTC fees ($50-$100).
- Submit your Plan for Completion.
- Insert CTE Incentive Information
- Fill out the CTE Incentive Application (updated for 21-22)
- Email the Incentive Application and a copy of your Preliminary CTE Credential approval from UC Berkeley to Susan.Benz@ousd.org and Edith.Gambrell@ousd.org
- Complete Coursework and Teaching Requirement
- Enroll and complete all required CTE and Adult Ed courses *
- Update your Plan for Completion and document 1 or 2 years of supervised teaching *
- Apply for a Clear Credential
- Meet and document the U.S. Constitution and CPR requirement.
- Contact our office to clear your credential.
*Bridge Pathway for Current Credential Holders:
Individuals who already possess a valid and qualifying CTC credential are eligible for a shortened program requiring the completion of only one course (CTE or Adult Ed Foundations) and only one year of teaching in the designated subject area. For details see: Bridge Program Requirements / Waivers.
To see other CTC approved credential programs that may suit you, visit the CTC.CA.GOV for a complete list.