6 Stages: Preliminary-to-Clear Credential
The CTE or Adult Education preliminary-to-clear credentialing program offers an online or campus-based instructional sequence for an estimated cost of $3,875 (CTE) or $3,310 (Adult Ed) for applicants who do not have a cleared single or multiple subject credential. Note that each of the stages must be fully completed before proceeding to the next.
- Get District/School Pre-Approval
- Complete a Certificate of Clearance through CTC.
- Self-Evaluate using the CTE or Adult Education pre-qualifying worksheet.
- Communicate with the district's CTE Coach, Daniel Spinka (firstname.lastname@example.org) to identify the specific credentialing area(s) you will pursue.
- Qualify for UC Berkeley Extension
- Request eligibility audit, attaching relevant transcripts and work verification form(s).
- Create a UCB Student Account and pay CTE or Adult Ed program application fee ($200)
- Apply for a Preliminary Credential
- Download and complete the Credential Authorization Form (do not include SS# or DOB).
- We will contact you for final signatures and details for paying CTC fees ($50-$100). The first incentive payment for the CTE Incentive program is larger to offset administrative costs.
- Submit your Plan for Completion
- Insert CTE Incentive Information
- Fill out the CTE Incentive Application
- Email the Incentive Application and a copy of your Preliminary CTE Credential approval from UC Berkeley to Daniel.Spinka@ousd.org and Edith.Grambell@ousd.org
- Complete Coursework and Teaching Requirement
- Enroll and complete all required CTE and Adult Ed courses*
- Update your Plan for Completion and document 1 or 2 years of supervised teaching*
- Apply for a Clear Credential
- Meet and document the U.S. Constitution and CPR requirement.
- Contact our office to clear your credential.
*Bridge Pathway for Current Credential Holders:
Individuals who already possess a valid and qualifying CTC credential are eligible for a shortened program requiring the completion of only one course (CTE or Adult Ed Foundations) and only one year of teaching in the designated subject area. For details see: Bridge Program Requirements / Waivers.
To see other CTC approved credential programs that may suit you, visit the CTC.CA.GOV for a complete list.