OUSD 2021 Creating Sanctuary Welcome Poster Contest GUIDELINES & Information
Oakland schools have proudly proclaimed that our schools are sanctuary schools for all students, with welcome posters featuring Oakland artist Favianna Rodriguez’ “Migration is Beautiful” butterfly.
We want all students to feel safe in our schools, regardless of birthplace, immigration status, race, culture, sexuality, or any other aspects of their identities. In response to current political challenges, Oakland teachers, students, and community members stand together in solidarity with each other and our families.
We are now calling for our OUSD student artists to create their own posters, for a chance to win prizes and have your poster be printed and distributed to schools throughout Oakland!
- Size Guidelines: Please design it digitally on a high-resolution 11” x 17” file, or use 11” x 17” paper.
- Artist Statement: Please submit a paragraph description of your creative vision, theme, process, intention, and the materials you used to create your poster (Between 50 - 300 words).
- How to Submit - To submit your poster and statement:
- You can submit digitally by uploading your 300+ DPI high-resolution file (such as PDF, TIFF, PNG, or EPS formats) and typed statement HERE, along with your contact information.
- Deadline: All materials must be submitted by 11:59pm on April 15, 2021.
POSTER CONTEST THEMES by School Level:
Elementary Themes: Safety, Identity, Family
"Keeping Our Families Safe"
- During COVID, how has your family stayed safe?
- In what way has home or your neighborhood provided sanctuary during the pandemic?
- How can we build safer neighborhoods?
Middle School Theme: Belonging
“Do you see me?”
- OUSD student Ester Owusu wrote this poem about racial identity & belonging in 2004. How does this poem resonate with you?
- In this political moment in our country, what makes you feel belonging in Oakland and our country?
High School Theme: Solidarity
“Breaking Down Walls & Borders Between Us”
- We live in a divisive time in our country, yet Oaklanders have come together in solidarity as well. How can we continue to break down the symbolic and/or literal walls and borders that exist between communities?
We will offer Canva workshops and tutorials for classes and students, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a workshop!
Accepted Content & Materials:
- Graphic Design
- Paint, Watercolor, Spray Paint
- Marker, Pencil, Pen, Charcoal, Pastels, Crayon
- Silkscreen, Stencil
- Your poster can include text and a message related to your school level’s theme, including in multiple languages.
- Your poster should be 2-dimensional, since we cannot reprint 3D work.
Rubric & Criteria for selection will include:
- Relation to School Level Theme
- Creativity & Originality
- Artistic Technique
- Clarity of Message (seen from far away)
- Inclusion Reflecting Oakland’s Diverse Population
PRIZES: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place awards will be selected by the Sanctuary Schools Taskforce and honorary OUSD and community judges for each school level: Elementary, Middle, High School. Prizes include Beats by Dre headphones and earphones, hoodies, and the opportunity to have your art distributed across Oakland!
Winners will be announced by end of semester Spring 2021!
By submitting your art to the contest, you permit the Oakland Unified School District to reproduce your artwork for free distribution and display your poster in schools.
If you have a question about the contest, please e-mail email@example.com for more information.
High School Canva Example:
Middle School Canva Example:
Elementary School Collage Example: