OUSD 2021 Creating Sanctuary Welcome Poster Contest
Oakland schools have proudly proclaimed that our schools are sanctuary schools for all students, with welcome posters featuring Oakland artist Favianna Rodriguez’ “Migration is Beautiful” butterfly.
We want all students to feel safe in our schools, regardless of birthplace, immigration status, race, culture, sexuality, or any other aspects of their identities. In response to current political challenges, Oakland teachers, students, and community members stand together in solidarity with each other and our families.
We called for our OUSD student artists to create their own posters, for a chance to win prizes and have your poster be printed and distributed to schools throughout Oakland!
ANNOUNCING the 2021 WINNERS!
POSTER CONTEST THEMES by School Level:
Elementary Themes: Safety, Identity, Family
"Keeping Our Families Safe"
- During COVID, how has your family stayed safe?
- In what way has home or your neighborhood provided sanctuary during the pandemic?
- How can we build safer neighborhoods?
Middle School Theme: Belonging
“Do you see me?”
- OUSD student Ester Owusu wrote this poem about racial identity & belonging in 2004. How does this poem resonate with you?
- In this political moment in our country, what makes you feel belonging in Oakland and our country?
High School Theme: Solidarity
“Breaking Down Walls & Borders Between Us”
- We live in a divisive time in our country, yet Oaklanders have come together in solidarity as well. How can we continue to break down the symbolic and/or literal walls and borders that exist between communities?
PRIZES: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place awards will be sent to winning students by the Sanctuary Schools Taskforce and honorary OUSD and community judges for each school level: Elementary, Middle, High School. Prizes include Beats by Dre headphones and earphones, hoodies, art materials, and the opportunity to have your art distributed across Oakland!
By submitting your art to the contest, you permit the Oakland Unified School District to reproduce your artwork for free distribution and display your poster in schools.
If you have a question about the contest, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
High School Canva Example:
Middle School Canva Example:
Elementary School Collage Example: