September 2020 UPDATE:
Due to the school closures and limited access to materials, we will postpone the deadline for the Sanctuary Poster Contest to March 31st, 2021, so that students and classes have plenty of time to complete their posters. Winners will be announced by the end of Spring 2021 semester, and winning posters will be distributed in schools in the 2021-22 school year. Good luck!
OUSD 2019-20 Creating Sanctuary Welcome Poster Contest GUIDELINES & Information
Oakland schools have proudly proclaimed that our schools are sanctuary schools for all students, with welcome posters featuring Oakland artist Favianna Rodriguez’ “Migration is Beautiful” butterfly.
We want all students to feel safe in our schools, regardless of birthplace, immigration status, race, culture, sexuality, or any other aspects of their identities. In response to current political challenges, Oakland teachers, students, and community members stand together in solidarity with each other and our families.
We are now calling for our OUSD student artists to create their own posters, for a chance to win prizes and have your poster be printed and distributed to schools throughout Oakland!
- Size Guidelines: Please use 11” x 17” paper or design it digitally on a high-resolution 11” x 17” file.
- Artist Statement: Please submit a paragraph description of your creative vision and intention along with your poster (Between 50 - 300 words). The statement document should include your:
- Full Name, School & Grade
- Home Mailing Address, Phone Number & E-mail Address
- How to Submit - There are 2 options to submit your poster and statement:
- When the Shelter-In-Place is lifted and it is safe to come, you can come to 1000 Broadway, 4th Floor, Suite 440 to drop off in person at the ELLMA Office during business hours.
- You can submit digitally by emailing your 300+ DPI high-resolution file (PDF, TIFF, or EPS formats ONLY) and typed statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can upload files to google drive, and send the link, if the file is too large to e-mail.
- Deadline: All materials must be submitted by 5pm on March 31st, 2021.
POSTER CONTEST THEMES by School Level:
- Elementary: "Welcome to Oakland: All Students and Families"
- Middle School: “Creating Sanctuary at School: Feeling Safe & Empowered”
- High School: “Breaking Down Walls & Erasing Borders”
- Accepted Content & Materials:
- Graphic Design
- Paint, Watercolor, Spray Paint
- Marker, Pencil, Pen, Charcoal, Pastels, Crayon
- Silkscreen, Stencil
- Your poster can include text and a message related to your school level’s theme, including in multiple languages.
- Your poster should be 2-dimensional, since we cannot reprint 3D work.
- Rubric & Criteria for selection will include:
- Relation to School Level Theme
- Creativity & Originality
- Artistic Technique
- Clarity of Message (seen from far away)
- Inclusion Reflecting Oakland’s Diverse Population
PRIZES: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place awards will be selected by the Sanctuary Schools Taskforce and honorary OUSD and community judges for each school level: Elementary, Middle, High School. Prizes include Beats by Dre headphones, sports tickets, hoodies, and the opportunity to have your art distributed across Oakland! The grand prize for high school and middle school will be Beats by Dre headphones!
Winners will be announced by end of semester Spring 2021!
By submitting your art to the contest, you permit the Oakland Unified School District to reproduce your artwork for free distribution and display your poster in schools.
If you have a question about the contest, please e-mail email@example.com for more information.