Cohort 2 - East Oakland
Cohort 2 - East Oakland Updates
At the Board of Education meeting on Aug. 28, Superintendent Johnson-Trammell will be making two recommendations:
- Merging School of Language (SOL) and Frick Impact Academy on the Frick Campus; and
- Expanding Melrose Leadership Academy (MLA) across Maxwell Park and Sherman campuses.
The main advantages of these recommendations are:
Opportunities to Improve Quality:
- SOL’s dual language, late entry program would support both native English speaking students and the large newcomer population at Frick.
- Increasing the number of students served by MLA’s high-demand dual language program including, special education students and newcomers.
Opportunities to Improve Sustainability:
- Repurpose SOL Campus (Old Rudsdale)
- Increase enrollment at Frick campus to sustainable size
- Reduce number of schools by one
Please use the links below for more context and information:
- East Oakland Community and Staff Letter | in Spanish (8/23/19)
- Results from the East Oakland Community Survey (as of 8/23/19)
- Memo to the Board of Education re Blueprint for Quality Schools - Cohort 2 (8/28/19)
- Board Presentation - Cohort 2 Proposals (8/28/19)