Select a month:
Healthy Celebrations for the Holidays
Help your students make healthy choices this holiday season! If your classroom or school will be having a holiday celebration, try to substitute sugary desserts with healthier options to help make sure students have access to healthy food and beverages at school. Bonus points if your holiday treats meet the OUSD Food Guidelines for healthy snack alternatives!
- Bulletin Board
- Get festive and put up photos of healthy holiday foods and snacks to inspire nutrious eating during the holidays! Think expansively about what holidays are celebrated at this time of year.
- School Announcements
- “Let’s keep [school name] winter celebrations fun, safe, and healthy! While occasional treats are okay and special for some celebrations, let's celebrate with non-food or healthy items, or focus on an activity like a dance party. And let's keep candy and soda out of school, always. [insert information about school activities happening, ex: Our school-wide celebration will be… Our classrooms will be celebrating on...] Thank you!"
- “Keep food safe--remember to wash your hands!"
- “Get enough sleep--this will improve health, immunity, memory, and weight."
- “Showing gratitude is proven to improve mood, increase energy, relieve stress, and increase motivation!"
Learning for Students
- Try having alternative celebrations other than food! You can have a dance party, do festive arts and crafts, Let’s trade! (students or parents bring in things such as pencils, pens, erasers to trade with classmates).
- “12 Days of Fitness” Song + Movement Activity for Grades 3-5
- Try fruit kebabs, flavored water, or these fruit & nut sweet treats.
- Choose MyPlate offers a variety of games, activities, videos, recipes and more for the elementary and secondary school levels.
Resources to Share
- Bulletin Board