Substitute Office - Talent Division
About Being a Substitute Employee with OUSD
OUSD is currently seeking and hiring Guest Teachers and all Classified Substitute positions for the 22-23 school year.
All candidate application, hiring and onboarding is conducted online.
Please read on to learn more about Substitute opportunities in OUSD!
And you can reach us with questions about becoming a sub at Recruitment@ousd.org
Applying to be a Substitute Employee
How do I apply to become a Substitute employee with OUSD?
Then search the word "substitute" and apply for positions you are interested in.
You can also find direct links to current vacancies in the Certificated and Classified substitute information sections below
About Guest (Substitute) Teaching - Certificated Positions
CURRENT CERTIFICATED SUB OPPORTUNITIES (click to go to posting)
Statistics indicate that one full year of instruction in every student's K-12 education will be provided by a guest (substitute) teacher. Guest teachers play a critical role in maintaining the continuity of instruction for students, and OUSD is always looking for qualified and interested candidates.
Guest teaching is an excellent means of exploring the teaching field as a career, offering opportunities for hands-on experience with a variety of classrooms and student populations.
What are the qualifications to be a Guest Teacher?
- Official transcript of Bachelor's degree.
- Passing CBEST score or equivalent (see CTC Leaflet L-667 for additional Basic Skills Tests)equivalent
- Two recent professional references (through email form as part of application process)
- Tuberculosis clearance within the past 60 days
- Eligibility for Guest teacher permit (click link to see CA requirements for the sub permit)
- Eligibility to be employed in the United States (citizen or resident with legal employment status)
- Pass background check (cost to you for fingerprinting will be in the range of $52.00 - $69.00 depending on whether your credential is already in process)
If you have already been fingerprinted for the Alameda County Consortium you don't need to be printed again to start subbing for OUSD!
Do I need a credential to Guest Teach?
About Classified (non-Teaching) Sub Positions
CURRENT CLASSIFIED (NON-TEACHING) SUB OPPORTUNITIES (click to go to posting)
- Clerical Substitute
- Substitute Custodian
- Substitute ParaEducator
- Substitute Instructional Support Specialist
- Substitute Food Service Assistant
One half of the positions in OUSD are Non-Teaching positions and OUSD needs subs for many of these daily to keep our students' education on track!
Classified staff keep our buildings and facilities clean and in repair, prepare and serve thousands of meals daily, directly support Special Needs students in the classroom, and perform a variety of essential clerical tasks such as School Attendance, School Front Desk support, and Administrative and Clerical support in schools and central office departments.
What are the Qualifications for Classified Substitute positions?
Basic qualifications for Classified substitute hire are:
- Recent Negative TB test
- Pass background check (cost to you for fingerprinting will be approx. $52.00)
NOTE: If you have already been fingerprinted for the Alameda County Consortium you don't need to be printed again to start subbing for OUSD!
- High school diploma
(For some assignments there may be additional special skills or certifications required, such as Food Safety, First Aid and/or CPR certification, or demonstration of adequate clerical skills to fill some assignments)
Each posting will list specific skills requirements.
If you have questions, please reach out to Recruitment@ousd.org