Substitute Office - Talent Division
Over 250 Substitute employees report for work at OUSD every day in many roles, and play a critical role in keeping the wheels turning and each child's education on track.
About Guest (Substitute) Teaching
DID YOU KNOW?... statistics indicate that one full year of instruction in every student's kindergarten through twelfth grade education will be provided by a guest (substitute) teacher. Guest teachers play a critical role in maintaining the continuity of instruction for students, and OUSD is always looking for qualified and interested candidates
Guest teaching can furnish an excellent means of exploring the teaching field as a career, offering opportunities for hands-on experience with a variety of classrooms and student populations.
What are the qualifications to be a Guest Teacher?
- Official transcript of Bachelor's degree (must be in issuing schools' original sealed envelope)
- Passing CBEST score or ONE Qualifying Examination
- Pass background check (cost to you for fingerprinting will be in the range of $52.00 - $69.00 depending on whether your credential is already in process) -
If you have already been fingerprinted for the Alameda County Consortium you don't need to be printed again to start subbing for OUSD!
- Two recent letters of professional reference
- Tuberculosis clearance within the past 60 days
- Eligibility for Guest teacher permit
- Original Social security card (copies not accepted)
- Driver's License (State issued ID card, Permanent residency card or Passport
Do I need a credential to Guest Teach?
Does OUSD hire substitutes for non-teaching positions?
The district needs substitute staff in a number of classified positions daily: School Security Officers, Custodians, Food Service Assistants, Special Education Para Educators and Instruction Support Specialists, and Clerical substitutes (Clerical subs fill in for Secretary, Attendance Clerk, and Administrative Assistant positions).
What are the Qualifications for Classified Substitute positions?
In order to qualify for Classified substitute positions, you need to pass a background check, demonstrate good health and furnish proof of graduation from high school. There may be additional assessments required to demonstrate adequate clerical skill for some assignments.
How do I apply to become a Substitute employee with OUSD?
You may apply for Substitute positions through the OUDS Jobs Portal!
Search the word "substitute" and apply for positions you are interested in. Also here are some links to specific substitute opportunities:
In order to be hired, you must place an application on the Jobs Portal and be interviewed. You may be interviewed at one of our hiring events. Here is a schedule pf upcoming events (All events take place at the old Cole Campus, 1011 Union Street, Oakland 94607):
- Thursday, March 5, 4:00-6pm.
- Thursday, May 14, 4:00-6pm.
- Thursday, June 4, 4:00-6pm.
- Thursday, July 16, 4:00-6pm.
Be sure to arrive before 5:00 as our interview slots will fill and we can't schedule any to go past 6:00 PM.
Info for Currently Employed OUSD Substitutes
Additionally, please explore the links below for support resources for OUSD Substitutes!
Information for Current Substitute Teachers
Resources for Substitute Teachers