Emerson Behavioral Expectations
Take a look at the expectations for all the areas of Emerson, and go over this document with your child.
Class line up happens before 8:30 so arrive by 8:25AM to get to school on time.
Dismissal is at 2:45PM every day except for Wednesdays when the kids get out at 1:15PM
All students line up in the morning with their teachers on the lower yard (near the portables). At the first bell (8:28) all students FREEZE and when they blow the whistle they line up with their teachers - who are waiting for them. Parents are encouraged to help the students learn this routine by assisting them into line with their new teacher.
Our Coach is on the playground at Shafter & 45th supervising children from 8AM. Kindergarteners can play in the kindergarten playground with parental supervision until school starts.
Emerson Attendance Policy:
- All students will line up with their teachers outside at 8:28am, when the bell rings.
- Teachers walk their classes inside, at 8:30am.
- Teachers take attendance within the first 15 minutes of class.
- Students that arrive after 8:30am, check-in first at the main office.
- Students will then be marked present and tardy.
- Students will receive a tardy pass from the main office, and go to class.
Line up begins at 8:25am, there is plenty of space around the school for parking if you arrive early, so please park legally and make your way to your student's class to avoid blocking traffic or being late! We encourage driving families to use the Lawton street entrance with the traffic turnaround for a safe drop off. Don't ever block the driveways of our neighbors, we want them to like us!
Do not double park when dropping off, it's not safe for our kids!
We have bike racks at every entrance (Shafter Ave and Lawton Ave) as well as inside the school by the kindergarten playground.
What to send with your child
- Lunch box or bag (labeled with name) containing lunch and beverage OR tell your child they'll be eating the cafeteria lunch. Lunch is available for free to all students.
- A backpack big enough to hold a 9x12 folder and their lunch.
Breakfast is free to all children and served in the classroom at the beginning of each day.
You can find out what's for lunch on the OUSD website, though specific offerings may vary.
If your student is in the after school programs with CDC, Umoja Village, Mosswood or Studio One, a teacher or counselor will pick them up directly from their class room.
Parents who pick up after school must come to the classroom to get your child.
For children who have parent permission to leave campus without an adult, they are not permitted to stay on campus unsupervised.
After School Programs
There are several options for after school programs available to Emerson students. More information can be found here.