Step 2 - APPLY
The easiest way to apply is to submit an application online.
Starting Nov. 4, 2019, the online application will be available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
- Families new to OUSD: Create an account using your email or mobile (cell phone) number as your username
- Families who created a SchoolMint account last year: Log in with your username and password. You can reset your password if you have forgotten it.
Apply in Person using a paper application.
Starting Nov. 4, 2019, you can print an application from the links below or pick one up at the Student Welcome Center.
REQUIRED: Attach the following documents with your application when you bring it to the Student Welcome Center. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (2 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign and submit your paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized and entered into the lottery. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
When you submit your paper application you will receive a time stamped paper receipt.