How to Apply: New or Returning Applicants
The Round 1 Enrollment Application Window opened on November 4, 2019 and closed on February 7, 2020.
If your child does not have a school assignment for the 2020-21 school year, please reach out to the Student Welcome Center by phone/text (510-879-4600) or email (email@example.com).
You may view or print a paper application, linked below, to understand what information will be requested by the Student Welcome Center staff to submit your application.
REQUIRED: You will be asked for the following documents with your application when you speak with Student Welcome Center staff. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age (if not a current OUSD student)
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (2 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new students must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign and submit your paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
Community Survey on Enrollment
OUSD has convened an Equitable Enrollment Working Group of community members (more information here) to look at Oakland enrollment policies with an equity lens. The Working Group is looking for feedback from all Oakland families! Please fill out the below survey (takes about 7-10 minutes) so your voice can be heard.
Student Welcome Center is Closed to the Public
In an abundance of caution, we are closing the Student Welcome Center to the public because of COVID-19. Our staff will still be working during this time. Please email, text, or call any enrollment-related questions and we will respond as soon as possible.
510-879-4600 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Still need to apply for school for next year?
If you do not yet have a confirmed school assignment for August, contact the Student Welcome Center staff (510-879-4600 or email@example.com).
Student Welcome Center
Student Welcome Center staff is available to help you enroll your student every step of the way!
Lakeview Student Welcome Center
746 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
Student Welcome Center closed to the public on March 16 and will remain closed until further notice. But, we are available to answer calls, texts, and emails.
Text / Call : 510-879-4600
Please see the Enrollment News section for any upcoming dates when the Student Welcome Center will be closed.