How to Apply: New or Returning Applicants
Submit your completed application in person or online during the Open Enrollment Period: November 5, 2018 to Feb 8, 2019.
Click here to start your online application - available in English, Español, ????. ??, Ti?ng Vi?t, and ????????? (Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, and Khmer), from a smartphone or computer, after creating an account with your phone number or email address.
Apply in Person using a paper application.
Print an application, linked below, or pick one up at the Student Welcome Center.
REQUIRED: Attach or upload the following documents with your application. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (3 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
- OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign & submit your online or paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized and entered into the lottery. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
If you submit an online application, be sure you receive an online response confirming that your application has been submitted and is approved as complete. If you submit a paper application you will receive a time stamped paper receipt.
Enrollment season for the 2019-2020 school year is open!
Now is the time to FIND the right OUSD school for your student by talking with families and faculty, visiting schools and looking online, so that you can APPLY on time between Nov. 5, 2018 and Feb. 8, 2019.
The Student Welcome Center will be closed as follows over the next two months:
- On Wednesdays
- On Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (Jan. 21, 2019)
Student Welcome Center
Student Welcome Center staff is available to help you enroll your student every step of the way!
Lakeview Student Welcome Center
746 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday*
Text / Call : 510-879-4600
*Please see the Enrollment News section for any upcoming dates when the Student Welcome Center will be closed.