How to Apply: New or Returning Applicants
The on-time Open Enrollment Period opened on Nov. 5, 2018 and closed on Feb 8, 2019.
Applications were considered on-time if they were submitted in person at the Student Welcome Center by 5:00 p.m. on Feb. 8, 2019 or on-line via Oakland School Finder by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 8, 2019.
If you still need to apply for the 2019-20 school year, apply in person using a paper application. The sooner you submit your application, the better - every day counts. Applications are only accepted at the Student Welcome Center. Please see our hours below.
Print an application, linked below, or fill one out at the Student Welcome Center.
REQUIRED: Attach the following documents with your application when you bring it to the Student Welcome Center. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (3 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign & submit your paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized and entered into the lottery. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
When you submit your paper application you will receive a time stamped paper receipt.
Did you apply on-time (by Feb. 8, 2019) for the 2019-20 school year?
- OUSD school offers and waitlist assignments were available starting on March 14, 2019.
- The deadline to accept or decline your student's offer was Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
- Starting April 3, 2019, waitlist assignments for families that did not accept or decline an offer were also cancelled. This is done to clear space for students who are on waitlists and who have indicated in the last three weeks that they are still interested in attending an OUSD school.
- What to do if your student's offer / waitlist placement has been cancelled? Come to the Student Welcome Center to complete a late application.
- Have questions? Please see answers to FAQs and/or contact the Student Welcome Center for assistance.
Did you submit a late application (after Feb. 8, 2019) for the 2019-20 school year?
- The Student Welcome Center will contact you when a school assignment is offered.
Still need to apply for a school for 2019-20?
- Come to the Student Welcome Center to complete a late application.
Student Welcome Center
Student Welcome Center staff is available to help you enroll your student every step of the way!
Lakeview Student Welcome Center
746 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday*
Text / Call : 510-879-4600
*Please see the Enrollment News section for any upcoming dates when the Student Welcome Center will be closed.