How to Apply: New or Returning Applicants
The on-time Open Enrollment Period opened on Nov. 5, 2018 and closed on Feb 8, 2019.
Applications were considered on-time if they were submitted in person at the Student Welcome Center by 5:00 p.m. on Feb. 8, 2019 or on-line via Oakland School Finder by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 8, 2019.
If you still need to apply for the 2019-20 school year, apply in person using a paper application. The sooner you submit your application, the better - every day counts.
Print an application, linked below, or pick one up at the Student Welcome Center.
REQUIRED: Attach the following documents with your application. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (3 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
- OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign & submit your paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized and entered into the lottery. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
When you submit your paper application you will receive a time stamped paper receipt.
March 14 Update
Did you apply on-time (by Feb. 8, 2019) for the 2019-20 school year?
If so, you can see your student's assignment by logging into your Schoolmint account.
OUSD school offers and waitlist assignments are available as of 10:00 AM on Thursday, March 14, 2019.
You will also receive emails/texts with instructions to view offers and waitlist assignments.
The deadline to accept or decline your offer is by Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
Did you submit a late application (after Feb. 8, 2019) for the 2019-20 school year?
The Student Welcome Center will contact you when a school assignment is offered.
Still need to apply? Submit your Application Today!
The on time enrollment window for the 2019-2020 school year closed on February 8, 2019. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. The sooner we receive your late application, the better your chances of receiving your school of choice. Every day matters - submit your application in person at the Student Welcome Center at 746 Grand Avenue between the hours of 8 AM and 2 PM each weekday except for Wednesdays.
Student Welcome Center
Student Welcome Center staff is available to help you enroll your student every step of the way!
Lakeview Student Welcome Center
746 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday*
Text / Call : 510-879-4600
*Please see the Enrollment News section for any upcoming dates when the Student Welcome Center will be closed.