How to Apply: New or Returning Applicants
The Round 1 Open Enrollment Period opened on November 4, 2019 and closed on February 7, 2020.
Applications are considered on-time for Round 1 if they were submitted in person at the Student Welcome Center by 5:00 p.m. on Feb. 7, 2020 or online by 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 7, 2020.
If you did not apply for the 2020-21 school year by February 7, there will be a Round 2 lottery. Applications are currently only being accepted at the Student Welcome Center. Please see our hours below.
Print an application, linked below, or fill one out at the Student Welcome Center.
REQUIRED: Attach the following documents with your application when you bring it to the Student Welcome Center. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.
1. Birth Certificate to verify student age
2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety
3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (2 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
- A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
- In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
- Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
- Lease agreement with owner's documentation
- Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
- Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Sign and submit your paper application packet. Your application is not complete until we receive all required documents. Incomplete applications cannot be processed. It is important to complete all parts of the application correctly to ensure that your application is properly prioritized and entered into the lottery. Incomplete applications will be withheld until all of the necessary information is entered. If after repeated communications, parents/guardians refuse or do not complete all application requirements, the application will not be processed and no assignment will be made. It is the parent’s responsibility to turn in a complete application.
When you submit your paper application you will receive a time stamped paper receipt.
Student Welcome Center is Closed to the Public through April 5, 2020
In an abundance of caution, we are closing the Student Welcome Center to the public because of COVID-19. Our staff will still be working during this time. Please email, text or call any enrollment related questions and we will respond as soon as possible.
510-879-4600 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Still need to apply for school for next year?
The Round 1 enrollment window for the 2020-21 school year closed on February 7, 2020. If you did not submit an application by February 7, there will be a Round 2 lottery you can participate in. Applications for Round 2 are currently only being accepted by phone with the Student Welcome Center (510-879-4600) between the hours of 8 AM and 2 PM.
Student Welcome Center
Student Welcome Center staff is available to help you enroll your student every step of the way!
Lakeview Student Welcome Center
746 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
Student Welcome Center will be closed to the public from March 16 through April 3. But, we will be available to answer calls, texts, and emails during that time.
Text / Call : 510-879-4600
Please see the Enrollment News section for any upcoming dates when the Student Welcome Center will be closed.