Joaquin Miller Parent/Teacher Association (JM PTA)
Our mission is to support Joaquin Miller’s community of parents, teachers and staff in their shared goal of enhancing our children’s educational experience by providing resources and opportunities that help all children thrive.
Joaquin Miller has a very passionate parent/teacher community who work together to provide extremely valuable enrichment programs at our school. We have traditionally had a membership rate of about 75% of our families and it is that involvement that leads to such an strong community. The JMPTA hosts five no-charge community dinners in conjunction with meetings throughout the school year. In attendance, you'll find friendly and passionate parents, teachers, and the principal, working together to make our school the best it can be. Our efforts and fundraising fully fund our computer lab and library, physical education, arts enrichment, teacher’s assistants, field trips and supplies for all classrooms.
The work of the PTA is carried out through its volunteer Executive Board and through numerous program committees. The current standing committees include Dad's Club, Room Parents, Annual Fall Auction Event, Hospitality, Joaq-a-Thon (walk-a-thon), Diversity and Inclusion, and more. The PTA achieves annual fundraising goals through the annual Back to School "Kids Come First" Funding Campaign, the Annual Fall Gala and our spring walkathon.
Why we need your support –
- The JM PTA spends about $800 per child to provide services not covered by OUSD.
- This allows all JM students to get -
- One library period every week, access to age appropriate books, author readings, annual family reading night and wonderful support from Ms. Gullikson, our librarian.
- 36-40 hours of hands on computer time every year, opportunity to serve on the ‘geek squad’ and yearbook design team and great computer instruction from Ms. Moore.
- Two PE classes every week with the amazing Mr. L and his team from Rhythm & Moves, learn about sports from all around the world, stay active and have fun and to quote one student ‘learn how to be responsible about our bodies and our selves.’
- Annual living history days to learn and experience history, food, music and tradition from different cultures.
- Classroom aides and tutors who support our teachers with prep work, work 1:1 with students in reading and math, provide additional support for project based learning and are responsible for our bulletin boards.
The Joaquin Miller PTA (JM-PTA) is a local unit of the External LinkOakland Council, Peralta District of The California Congress of Parents, Teachers, and Students, Inc. To download the Joaquin Miller PTA bylaws, click here - JMPTA Bylaws.