Please let us know how we can assist you at your site in developing or maintaining your school library.
We support Library Techs, Masters of Library and Information Science Librarians and Teacher- Librarians in staffing school libraries in alignment with CA State Standards.
Sites that don’t receive Measure G Library funding but that have or anticipate having paid qualified staff receive these supports from Central office as time permits:
- Assistance with interviewing, hiring and evaluating
- Training and support of staff
- Initial walk through and assessment support
- Collaborative Library Meeting times 2x a Month. At these meetings site paid staff can learn, network, access resources, develop standards in your libraries in alignment with state and national best practices, create vision documents to assist in sharing their vision with administrators, funders and community
- New books for libraries with paid staff.
- Databases and Library Catalog
- Giveaway books for families and for special occasions
- Support in accessing or “piggy backing” on authors or library programming
- Support with State and National standards and best practices for paid staff
- Support with District processes to improve your library (for paid staff)
- Remove fines from student records
Documents and information that may assist you:
Classroom Libraries and School Libraries
Library Roles and Classifications - Volunteers to Teacher - Librarians
School Libraries Work! Research supporting the effectiveness of school libraries
Something to Shout About: School Library Journal Article Reveals First Evidence of Impact of School Librarian Losses (And Gains) on Students (starts on page 20) documents the fact that inferior gains or losses on reading scores directly relates to states in which schools cut librarian positions. In addition, these findings “held - and were more dramatic -- across subgroups including race/ethnicity, poverty and English language learner status.”