2017 Summer Health Internships: MIMS, HEAL, HCSA
If you are an OUSD high school student interested in learning more about your own health, the health of your community and about exciting careers in health please apply! No minimum GPA required to participate in any of these summer internship programs. Students must be able to make a full time commitment to each program.
---Application Deadline: March 22, 2017---
Current Summer Internship Opportunities
MIMS - Mentoring in Medicine and Science Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm, July 6 - August 3, 2017
Samuel Merritt University 3100 Telegraph, Oakland CA 94609, (also includes site visits to various locations and clinical shadowing at Highland Hospital)
The Clinical Immersion and Mentoring Summer Internship is an intensive 4 week program that allows students to explore their interests in medical careers. MIMS summer internship program participants:
- Shadow health professionals in patient care settings, including a busy, urban emergency department, out-patient clinics and private clinics
- Interact with a broad spectrum of health professionals through workshops and networking sessions
- Go on field trips to anatomy labs and other health science centers and health professional schools
- Ride along with a Firefighter and an Emergency Medical Technician for a day (based on availability)
- Participate in leadership, personal and professional development workshops
- Receive one-on-one mentorship and advising
Priority will be given to OUSD Health Pathway students in grades 9, 10, 12th grades. Students receive a $650 stipend and 10 elective credits based on engagement and successful completion of internship.
For more information please contact email@example.com , 510-835-174
HEAL - Health Excellence and Academic Leadership Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm, June 26 - July 28, 2017
Highland Hospital 1411 E31st Street Oakland, CA 94602
HEAL is a 5-week internship at Highland Hospital which provides exposure to healthcare careers and hands-on experience in a hospital setting. HEAL summer internship program participants:
- Rotate through hospital departments (such as Maternal and Child Health, Radiology, Pediatrics, Emergency Room) where they assist with department duties and shadow doctors, nurses, and other providers
- Learn about a broad range of healthcare jobs and the educational pathways to pursuing a healthcare career
- Attend classes and workshops covering topics such as professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, personal health, and the social determinants of health
- Go on field trips, including a simulation lab, anatomy lab, and college visits
HEAL Summer Interns will also be enrolled in OUSD’s summer internship seminar. Priority will be given to applicants who are current 11th graders. Upon successful completion of their internship, interns will receive 10 elective credits and an $800 stipend.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 510-437-4290
HCSA - Health Care Services Agency Internship Program Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm June 26 - July 28, 2017
Alameda County Health Care Services 1000 San Leandro Blvd, San Leandro, CA 94577 (also includes rotations at various Alameda County locations)
The Alameda County Health Care Services Agency (HCSA) is providing a 5-week internship that will expose students to career opportunities in the fields of public health, behavioral health, environmental health, administration/indigent health. HCSA summer internship participants will:
- Intern in Alameda County’s Public Health, Behavioral Health, Environmental Health, or Administration/Indigent Health departments where they will assist with department duties and engage in hands-on, experiential learning projects
- Participate in seminars and workshops that will expose students to a broad range of public/community health careers
- Undertake group projects that promote teamwork and collaboration
- Learn how to use social media to promote public and community health
Summer Interns will also be enrolled OUSD’s summer internship seminar. Priority will be given to applicants who are current 11th graders. Upon successful completion of their internship, interns will receive 10 elective credits and $800 stipend.
One application for all 3 programs!