Public Speaking Resources
- Poetry Out Loud – Learning Recitation and other videos
- TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) - A nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less).
- Ignite - Imagine you are in front of an audience made up of your family, friends, and people from your community, about to present a 5-minute talk on the thing you're most passionate about. You've brought 20 slides, which advance every 15 seconds whether you're ready or not. You have a few last-minute butterflies, but off you go--and the crowd loves it. Welcome to Ignite!
On-line Curriculum Resources for Teachers and Parents
- Analyzing Famous Speeches as Arguments
- Liberation Curriculum from Stanford University, The Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute
- Digital Archive of nearly a million documents associated with the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- American Rhetoric: Top 100 Speeches
- Facing History and Ourselves provides ideas, methods, and tools that support the practical needs, and the spirits, of educators worldwide who share the goal of creating a better, more informed, and more thoughtful society.
- Speeches on Social Justice, So Just
- The History Place
- San Francisco Library Black Lives Matter Curriculum
- Freedom's Children: Young Civil Rights Activists by Ellen Levine - 30 Oral Histories of Youth Activists from ages 5 - 19 years old.
- Open a World of Possible: Real Stories about the Joy and Power of Reading Scholastic – Free Download of Educators Guide
District Subscribed Resources
- Access your school's Virtual Home Library. You can search for books in your school library from the convenience of anywhere with internet connectivity.
- Amy Cheney, OUSD District Librarian for support.
- Britannica Online - digital archive/database of articles, media, books, etc.
- Login is automatic from within district network. From home, username is ousd and password is ousd (all lowercase).
- NBC Learn - an online resource with thousands of videos from NBC News that you and your students can use in classwork, homework, presentations and instruction. No login required within the OUSD Network. If you want to access at home, please click here for instructions.
Important Links & Document Downloads
Useful Documents and Links